Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 8, 2011   #1
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Default F1 x F1 crosses

If you cross two F1 plants would it take twice as long to stabilize than crossing two OP plants? Unless my math is flawed (which is likely) you would end up with double the gene combos.
Old July 10, 2011   #2
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

I guess I hadn't thought it through totally before posting this. I realize that it would not take twice as long to stabilize, but would it just have more variation in the segregation than a two parent cross? I guess I am just looking for some insight on what the differences would be in an F1 x F1(different) cross as opposed to a cross with two OP varieties (which I do understand).
Old July 10, 2011   #3
maf
Tomatovillian™

The main difference I can think of when crossing hybrids is that the segregation for different traits would begin in the F1 generation, instead of the F2 as it would in OPxOP crosses. So you would need to grow several F1's (the more the better), instead of just one, and begin making selections in that generation.

There is also the potential for more variations in the segregations, as you suggested, depending on how similar or different the 4 parental lines (ie the parents of the hybrids) are. But once you find the traits you are looking for it should not take any longer to stabilize.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote