Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 7, 2013   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default phytophtora

Can phytophtora survive in compost?
In other words, can you use phytophtora-infected tomatoleafs to make compost?
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

It's not generally a good idea to compost infected tomato or potato debris though Phytophthora infestans (Late Blight) actually needs a living host to survive and the asexually produced zoospores are fragile, easily killed by freezing temperatures or high temperatures.
If there are both A1 and A2 mating types present, there is a chance of them reproducing sexually, the oospores from that mating have a very thick protective wall that allows them to survive in soil for years. That has happened in some parts of Europe.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
It's not generally a good idea to compost infected tomato or potato debris though Phytophthora infestans (Late Blight) actually needs a living host to survive and the asexually produced zoospores are fragile, easily killed by freezing temperatures or high temperatures.
If there are both A1 and A2 mating types present, there is a chance of them reproducing sexually, the oospores from that mating have a very thick protective wall that allows them to survive in soil for years. That has happened in some parts of Europe.
Good answer Ray, and about the potato part you should know since you live near potato growing areas. Most of the Late Blight here in Eastern NYS state originates from potato cull piles in Western NYS.

And the two mating types have also appeared here in the US, primarily in the Pacific NW. Not good since new serotypes of LB have appeared that are not susceptible to those products commercial farmers have access to that previously were partially effective.

Carolyn
Old October 7, 2013   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Good answer Ray, and about the potato part you should know since you live near potato growing areas. Most of the Late Blight here in Eastern NYS state originates from potato cull piles in Western NYS.

And the two mating types have also appeared here in the US, primarily in the Pacific NW. Not good since new serotypes of LB have appeared that are not susceptible to those products commercial farmers have access to that previously were partially effective.

Carolyn
Yes Carolyn, when confirmed reports of LB starts showing up in early summer in WNY you know that infected potato tubers are the most likely source. Last time I checked, LB is still being reported across NY and elsewhere in the north
The savior this summer was it was dry most of the time here, the many warm sunny days provided the UV radiation to kill the spores mid-air and limit the spread of the pathogen. Haven't had any LB show up, but with the now wet and humid conditions, it could happen if spores blow in like it did for me in 2010. Although the plants are waning, still picking some tomatoes here and there at the end of the season.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2013   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i never ever compost tomato plants.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2013   #6
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

I do, but I just don't give self made compost to my tomatoes...or to other plants which are sensitive to phytophtora or other molds.

edit: Is that a good plan or still very risky?

Last edited by Itoero; October 9, 2013 at 05:56 AM.
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote