Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 26, 2021   #1
montyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Question for Antho Tomato fans

I was wondering if anyone who enjoys the black tomatoes if they have any tricks to help more of the tomato get exposed to the sun. I read online somewhere that some people use tinfoil or mirrors to reflect the flight onto the other side of the tomato. Anyone had any success or other tips? Thanks.
montyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2021   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Not a huge fan of antho tomatoes but a couple of things: it depends on the variety with some antho tomatoes having just a bit on the shoulder vs fully black tomatoes like black Beaty. I personally think that removing foliage would be the easier way to increase sun exposure vs some sort of reflecting material. Growing plants in strong full sunlight seems pretty self explanatory of course.
Personally I think all black antho tomatoes have an unpleasant bitterness to
My taste and a tinged shoulder lighter/ touch is preferable imo.
Antho collects in stripes and in green shouldered fruit differently and also flavour is better imo in antho fruit with a clear vs a yellow epidermis.
I can’t see any rigging up of mirrors Etc being practical outdoors for sure.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2021   #3
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

This year I grew Atomic Fusion in a 20 gallon fabric bag in full sun on a south-facing patio. I am not sure why I decided to grow it, as I had not particularly liked the other antho tomatoes I'd grown previously as they had a bitter/metallic taste to them. To my utter surprise I loved the results--fruits were nearly black except on the shaded side, with thick skins that almost popped when you bit into a fruit, and a completely unexpected deep sweetness. It was one of those occasions when I thought, oh yeah, a tomato is a FRUIT!

I plan to grow AF again next season, but in the ground this time.
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote