Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 14, 2011   #1
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Default To pinch or not to pinch

My peppers that were started earliest have reached at least 6 inches tall and are in 4 inch pots after about 5 weeks. Here in zone 5b I don't plant out until mid May. So with eight more weeks of growing to go my question is this... should I pinch out the growing tip on my peppers? Will this make them get bushier like other kinds of plants, so they don't get too tall before plant out? Good idea or bad idea?
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2011   #2
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I've never done that-I've heard of pinching off the flowers, but I don't do that, either.
Curious to see what all the pepperheads say.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #3
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Bump.......Need helpful info
Old March 17, 2011   #4
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

With eight more weeks to go which is quite a bit of time I would just let em grow and expect to repot again.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2011   #5
lurley
Tomatovillian™

One of the problems is they are already filling up 4 1/2 inch pots. I can't really pot 600 pepper and eggplant up into gallons, I have some gallon containers, but not that many. Then the cost of more soil for gallon pots when I've got 3k tomato seedlings gonna need potting up in the next couple of weeks is too much money for me right now. If potting them up is not an option, do I let them keep growing up? Or pinch out the growing tip for more bushiness? Do they get bushy if you pinch them out? I don't even know. Most plants do but I have never done it to peppers.
Old March 18, 2011   #6
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

I have pinched a lot of plants, but not peppers. Depending on how many nodes your plants have, you can do a "soft" or "hard" pinch. I am usually more comfortable with a soft pinch (just the tip, no more), rather than a hard pinch lower down on the stem where it may be beginning to become woody. The former usually results in more branches, the latter will give fewer but more vigorous branches, although sometimes more likely to break off. They might only make 2 branches regardless. Watering gets a bit tricky for a little while. After 2 or 3 weeks the branches should be forming and most or all of the old leaves can be removed. Hopefully one pinch should buy you enough time before the branches get too thick and bushy and stretch problems will be compounded. With that many plants, sounds like an opportunity to experiment a little.

Peppers usually branch a bit on their own for me, anyway (after they are planted out). Hoping my experiences translate to peppers... and hoping that your plants do well. http://www.gardenguides.com/106768-p...er-plants.html
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2011   #7
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks David! Info is just what I needed. I have never pinched peppers before and really wanted to make sure I wouldn't be doing them irreparable harm. Some of the varieties have already started branching from their nodes without top pinching. I think I will stick with the "soft" pinching also as this is the kind I am used to doing with other plants, like basil. The link is interesting in it talks about pinching all around the plant. I think I'll stick with the tops only for now and only pinch side node shoots if they get unreasonably long before planting out or are particularly long and thin (to prevent them from snapping off). Thanks so much for easing my worries about trying this.
Old March 18, 2011   #8
Marko
Tomatovillian™

Lurley, pinch all flower buds before planting out. That's all the peppers need.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2011   #9
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lurley. I did not pinch back my peppers last year but I started them in ground late and grew them in partial shade. Here's two links, one addressing the pinching question. I am interested in what you and other pepper growers think about the last link, especially the peat cautions. And if you read his copyright cautions, he is certainly prepared.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10806

http://userwebs.batnet.com/rwc-seed/...wing.tips.html

It seems most sources tell you to wait until the plant is about a foot tall before pinching the apical meristem (growing tip).

Oh and I received both of the pepper seed types so look in the mail for them.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2011   #10
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireilly View Post
And if you read his copyright cautions, he is certainly prepared.
Just reading this stuff makes me feel like I should surrender to the authorities.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2011   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I neither pinch the growing tips, or pinch the blossoms. No need - those first flowers will set fruit, and more will come.
Old March 18, 2011   #12
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

I've never subscribed to the pinching off the flower stuff, either. It always seemed my peppers did about the same whether they had flowers or not when planted out.
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #13
robbyjoe01
Tomatovillian™

I don't pinch flowers or tops of my plants but I'm on a smaller scale than you. If they are leggy I wouldn't pinch it could be their final nail in the coffin. If they are healthy the pinch(no more than 2 inches out of 6 inches) would be alright but the better choice unfortunately for you would be to repot. Lay off the fert so the plants have time to recoup from the shock of having their heads cut off.
robbyjoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #14
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I don't pinch my peppers either.
Ireilly, this is what I think of peat pellets. It works for some and not
for others. I don't start all my seeds in pellets, but most of them I do.
First one I took picture outside for better lighting. I just watered them
that's why they look wet. They do need to be potted up, I've just been
a little lazy.

roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #15
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Those are very healthy looking. I both sowed and grew mine in ground last year and they mostly did well. But this year I am starting in pots, my starting medium has lots of peat and I don't know that I could tell that the seedlings are not growing as fast as they should, etc.

So I thought I'd ask the seasoned pepper growers for the benefit of their experience. This year I have many more pepper types than last.

Thanks.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote