Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 26, 2013   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Default New Information About Late Blight History

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...6pLid%3D318559

Being interested in Late Blight, P. infestans, I knew quite a bit about the Potato Famine in Ireland, and know that it wasn't just in Ireland, and the fact that it was attributed to growing just one kind of potato.

But I found the above link with new information to be really interesting and I hope that some of you also find it interesting.

Carolyn, who didn't know quite where to put this thread, in General Discussion, b/c of more general interest, or here in the Disease Forum even though it doesn't speak to current strains of LB. I decided on the latter.
Old May 26, 2013   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

I heart paleomycology, paleovirology and all the like! So important to understand the genetics behind past epidemics, for also dealing with the present and future ones.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I heart paleomycology, paleovirology and all the like! So important to understand the genetics behind past epidemics, for also dealing with the present and future ones.
I couldn't agree more, whether it's plant diseases or human diseases such as the info on plague discovered from pits of bones of folks in Denmark who died of the plague centuries ago or some of the earliest strains of Influenza that were analyzed from bodies that were frozen in ice in Alaska from the flu epidemic of 1917/18 or recovering tuberculosis from the bones of Egytian mummies, and so much more.

I subscribe to four different archaeology magazines and as technology improves for being able to isolate DNA from ancient sources I look forward to the issues to see what's new.

My background, as I think many know, was teaching med students infectious diseases and the immune response and I have an equal interest in plant diseases as well.

As you said above, now my words, the more we know about diseases of the past, the better it is to be able to know what is now and what the future might bring in terms of rates of mutation, vaccines for humans, possible treatments and so much more.

Carolyn
Old May 27, 2013   #4
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I couldn't agree more, whether it's plant diseases or human diseases such as the info on plague discovered from pits of bones of folks in Denmark who died of the plague centuries ago or some of the earliest strains of Influenza that were analyzed from bodies that were frozen in ice in Alaska from the flu epidemic of 1917/18 or recovering tuberculosis from the bones of Egytian mummies, and so much more.

I subscribe to four different archaeology magazines and as technology improves for being able to isolate DNA from ancient sources I look forward to the issues to see what's new.

My background, as I think many know, was teaching med students infectious diseases and the immune response and I have an equal interest in plant diseases as well.

As you said above, now my words, the more we know about diseases of the past, the better it is to be able to know what is now and what the future might bring in terms of rates of mutation, vaccines for humans, possible treatments and so much more.

Carolyn
Well, we have a common interest there besides wonderful tomatoes!
I went back to university to study biology specifically because of my interest in developing antiviral natural products. The business concept didn't pan out - you need really deep pockets to bring even the most benign medicinal product to market - but I have no regrets about the time spent pursuing that goal. Studying science has really enriched my life. I didn't have the resources for further study, but thanks to the internet, when there's news of a new virus - or an old one! - I can spend an evening reading the latest research to bring me up to speed.

My dad was also a biologist, and left me his microscopes to work with, and I've been meaning to set up a little plant pathology lab for my own benefit and my farmer friends if not else. Just the other day I was wondering whether there's a course in plant pathology I could do to set me on the path (pun intended ! )
Do you know of a good field key to foliage diseases? There are lots of good sites with descriptions and photos (Cornell for example) but none of them use keys? Am I old fashioned? Or spoiled by the habit of using keys to identify mushrooms?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2013   #5
Poma_adoris
Tomatovillian™

Dr. Male (Carolyn), Very interesting that your specialty was infectious diseases and immune response in humans (& other animals?). I am wondering if you have commented on systemic acquired resistance in plants, which some plant pathologists consider to be valid and others think is flim-flam. Has that already been discussed in a thread? Thanks again for your willingness to share your knowledge!

BTW did you see my suggestion that you sell photocopies of your book? And write an updated edition? Please, please.

- Poma adoris
Poma_adoris is offline   Reply With Quote