Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 27, 2009   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Bamboo

Post your thoughts experience and knowledge about bamboo here.

From Suez’s advice I purchased some golden goddess bamboo from the same place she did.
It is none invasive and is of the bunching type which means it won’t sprout up 5 feet away.
It gets to about 8 or nine feet tall and about ½ in diameter.<br><br>&nbsp;After reading about bamboo for the last few days I have found out I have the perfect soil for it, red clay.

I like my neighbor but I an going to use it for a privacy screen between us in the front all the way from my house to the street.
This will be on top of the hill and will make a fabulous back drop for the elephant ears.

I am also looking into some bigger taller bamboo for construction purposes.
After reading about bamboo, if it is done correctly can be contained in an area with the right borders.
From what I have heard folks hate it or love it.
Golden goddes bamboo

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Bamboo is an amazing material! One of the local architects is a bamboo enthusiast and has given slide shows of 2-story and larger buildings.

I've been to a small backyard that was planted with timber bamboo, about 3-4 ft. apart -- close enough to feel like a forest, far enough apart to be able to walk through without feeling crowded.

There's also a local bamboo garden, with dozens of species, from timber size to foot-high.

I missed a local bamboo conference last year, but some of the more interesting presenters (from the program) were

Martin Coto, Bamboo Furniture. Master craftsman from Costa Rica with 30 years experience. Particularly interesting are the jigs and tools he puts together.

Craig Calfee, bicycle designer/builder will show both his custom bamboo racing/mountain bikes as well as a very affordable system for local bike use that he set up in Ghana.ÅÙ? Of special interest are the joints he developed of natural fiber and epoxy which are by far the strongest joint ever done in bamboo.

Dr. Nabil Taha, P.E. - President of Precision Structural Engineering, Inc.
Has done the structural design of more bamboo buildings than anyone in this country, Nabil will present his experiences. http://www.structure1.com/personnel.htm

The World Bamboo Conference is coming up! Bangkok, Thailand, September 2009.

Last edited by habitat_gardener; July 27, 2009 at 02:27 AM.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #3
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Bamboo is brilliant stuff,i have three varties, the tallest grows to 9 meters and is as thick as a shovel handle,i have a ditch dug around the Bamboo patch to contain it,so far has worked well
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2009   #4
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

i would love to find a cold hardy one that is edible. I have some ideas from reading, but just trying to keep above water with being busy this year. Any suggestions on tasty types?

that is pretty stuff Worth!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2009   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Garnetmoth just google bamboo growing and you will find all kinds you can eat and grow in your area more so than in my area.

There are just so many to choose from aqnd I love the stuff.
Thanks to Suze and her Bamboo it was a reminder to start growing it now that I have my own place.
I should have done it 4 years ago.

And yes a trench WILL keep it from spreading.

Bamboo is not a wild monster you just have to know how to control it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote