Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 6, 2013   #1
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Default Metro or Pro Mix in SC?

I've been calling all around upstate SC to find someone who carries pro mix bx or sungro metro mix 360 in large bags. Does anyone by chance know of a retailer that carries it? Not opposed to online ordering, but it does inflate the cost quite a bit for the larger bags.
gggeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Lowes is now carrying the Pro Mix HP (contains more Perlite) for $30 per 2.2 cu. ft. bag. Type in your zip code to see if they have it in your area:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_383916-1803-...Bbx&facetInfo=

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you go into Premier Horticultures web site(pro mix owner) they have some links as to get listings of distributors in each state.Also you can even find retailers when you go into certain product lines.Down here in Homestead since we are a agricultural area my distributor sells the Pro Mix HP 3.6 cubic for 23.95/per.But they do not sell all of the Promix blends unless you buy a whole truck of pallets.I wanted to get the Biofungicide mix.Check your Hydroponic shops they usually carry some kind of compressed cubes for the "alternate" underground growers. http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pea...-distributors/

Last edited by kurt; February 6, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ray,
What's the difference between the HP and the BX? I can look it up of course, but if you happen to know off the top of your head...

Edit - never mind I looked it up in lieu of being lazy.
Here is the comparison link.
http://www.pthorticulture.com/en/com...&compare_id_3=

Last edited by JamesL; February 6, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Ray is that compressed? Otherwise it will only fill one Earthbox, kind of pricey for me! Thanks.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Ray is that compressed? Otherwise it will only fill one Earthbox, kind of pricey for me! Thanks.
Linda,
It is compressed to 2.2cu supposed to expand to 4.0cu. You won't get that much volume in an earth box though.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #7
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I started buying 3.8cu' bags of Metromix 360 from a local greenhouse nursery for $18/bag. Now I just place my order with his, and get pallets at $15.00/3.8cu" bag. You might want to check with a nearby greenhouse nursery and see if they'll sell you bags.
Old February 6, 2013   #8
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

How close are you to Seneca SC? Head-Lee Nursery out towards Walhalla (or is it Westminister...) carries MetroMix 360, (and possibly others).

http://headleenursery.com/
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Linda,

The 2.2 cu.ft. is a compressed measurement. My Personal experience with another brand who claimed "3 cu.ft. would fluf up to 6 cu.ft. While that statement may be factually correct, my feather pillow "flufs up to 12 inches" - but put your head on it and it instantly contracts to 6 inches.

I would suggest that when you thoroughly wet the "fluffed up" mix, it will contract down again to about the volume in the original package - buyer beware - or be prepared to bring home an extra bale, or two.

Raybo
Old February 6, 2013   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Linda,

Regarding EarthTainer fill reqirements, using the "3-2-1" formulation of potting mix, microbark, and Perlite, each EarthTainer consumes 1.5 cu.ft. potting mix, 1 cu.ft.
microbark, and .5 cu.ft. Perlite - so the per EarthTainer consumption of Pro-Mix is not too bad.

Raybo
Old February 6, 2013   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Ray - Currently I mix up a brew also. Guess I was thinking how nice it would be to open the bag and dump it in.....

Generally use half potting mix half peat, add perlite and bark fines until I like the way it feels. One of these days I will try your standard mix. Just never been much of a recipe follower.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #12
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Lowes is now carrying the Pro Mix HP (contains more Perlite) for $30 per 2.2 cu. ft. bag. Type in your zip code to see if they have it in your area:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_383916-1803-...Bbx&facetInfo=

Raybo
Lowes or HD around here having it would be way too simple. Alas, neither has it. I'll have to look into Hotwired's idea. Nursery's I called did not have it for sale but I'm wondering if they can't get some in if I talk to the right people. Seneca is an hour+ drive, so thats a bit far.
Old February 7, 2013   #13
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Linda,

The 2.2 cu.ft. is a compressed measurement. My Personal experience with another brand who claimed "3 cu.ft. would fluf up to 6 cu.ft. While that statement may be factually correct, my feather pillow "flufs up to 12 inches" - but put your head on it and it instantly contracts to 6 inches.

I would suggest that when you thoroughly wet the "fluffed up" mix, it will contract down again to about the volume in the original package - buyer beware - or be prepared to bring home an extra bale, or two.

Raybo
I put up around 600 seedlings per year, and one bale lasts me for three years easily. There is a lot of volume in there.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #14
dirt dauber
Tomatovillian™

Default Farfard mix 3B

Im building earth tainers for this season and was having trouble locating the mixes you mentioned. A nursery in Columbia recommended to me Farfard 3B mix.They say they have had good results in earth boxes with it. It contains fine bark and perlite already, im just not sure in what proportion. I,ve seen their boxes during the growing season though and they sure look healthy.
dirt dauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2013   #15
gggeek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt dauber View Post
Im building earth tainers for this season and was having trouble locating the mixes you mentioned. A nursery in Columbia recommended to me Farfard 3B mix.They say they have had good results in earth boxes with it. It contains fine bark and perlite already, im just not sure in what proportion. I,ve seen their boxes during the growing season though and they sure look healthy.
Have not heard of that. I wasn't able to locate any of the brands I was looking for, but while I was in Charleston I was able to find large bags of Jiffy organic seed starting mix. I picked it up and it seems to be comparable to Metro Mix. Will see how it goes.

I am still hunting down some Pro Mix though for my containers this year.