Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 11, 2006   #1
Kenyadenola
Tomatovillian™

Default Can They Be Saved?

I have never had a foliage disease before or any disease for that matter. The other day everything looked fine, then the spots popped up. I have looked at all the diagnostic websites and just can't come to something conclusive. I thought I would ask you guys because different things have to be treated differently and I want to make sure that I am using the right spray.

The photos are of the three plants that I have noticed the problem on. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kenya
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...mato%20Leaves/
Kenyadenola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2006   #2
Kenyadenola
Tomatovillian™

Something I just thought about, as I stare at my naked plants since I cut all the bad leaves off is, last week i sprayed them with a mixture of iron chelate, epsom salts and seaweed/fish emulsion. I do realize that this may have been overkill, but they were suffering from nutrient deficiencies and the iron chelate had all the micro-nutrients I wanted, even though I know that seaweed has them as well. Later on I found out that the iron chelate I used contained EDTA's that I was not happy about. Anyway, I noticed nicks in some of the tomatoes, like someone stuck their finger nail in the flesh, and this week all the spots showed up. I am wondering if what I think is a foliage disease, might in fact be the result of the spraying, because I noticed that only the plants that I sprayed are suffering, none of the other plants have any sign of disease. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?
Old August 11, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenyadenola
I am wondering if what I think is a foliage disease, might in fact be the result of the spraying, because I noticed that only the plants that I sprayed are suffering, none of the other plants have any sign of disease. What do you guys think?
I think you might be on to something re the problem being spraying damage, especially since you had indicated in your first post that the onset was so sudden.

A couple of other points to consider:

* have you had heavy rains recently? can cause rapid multiplication of fungal spores.

* what was the temperature when you sprayed? was the spraying done in direct sun?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2006   #4
Kenyadenola
Tomatovillian™

No rains, and I don't spray until about 7 pm, so there is very little direct sun, but the sun hasn't set yet, and the temp. isn't hot, but it's not cold, it's just warm enough that the leaves will dry before the night cold kicks in.

The more I cleared away the bad leaves the more I noticed that where the foliage was the the thickest, the inner most leaves have no dit's pretty much concentrated to the leaves on the outside that would have received the brunt of the spray, and the only fruit affected are the fruit that were in the direct path and there were no leaves covering them.

I'm almost positive now that it may be the spray, because if I were a person who assumed, I would assume that the damage wouldn't be limited to only those that were sprayed. I foliar feed all of them, but these particular plants were the only ones that got that particular combo.

Some of my plants look as if they are not wearing any pants, so I think now I will have to put little paper bags around all of the tomatoes to keep them out of the direct sun. These are going to be the funniest looking plants. I have also thought about just putting shade cloth around the bottom halfs since the plants are grown on a flat panel of CRM, I can just hang it on the bottom half. Hopefully this will be the last of my problems with the tomatoes, but since in California it is not unusual to still be getting tomatoes at Christmas, who knows.