Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 3, 2009   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Help me pick a peck?

Hi Folks!

I'm trying to narrow down the picks for a pepper collection.Normally,I would have posted at a seed co's forum,but asking about "where to buy" on their website makes me feel a little like I am abusing the privilege.

I am mainly looking for the sweeter types for frying..stuffing and seasoning,but am thinking I should include a variety or 2 of the warmer types.

I have a few Jimmy Nardello...and a few Red Marconi seeds left (the last attempt at germing was a failure) so it might be a good idea to order some,as I understand that they are both excellent.

I also have a few Jalapeno types,and a few Wenks Yellow that might prove interesting.(from a very kind individual).

I have become interested in the following varietals,and if anyone could advise me as to what your opinion of the following might be,it would be ever so helpful.

I am very interested in the Trinidad Perfume...and the Numex Suave Orange for the opportunity to have the Habenero flavor without the heat.The suave orange would sure add a nice color to the garden,but that might be accomplished by another varieity.Am I correct in assuming that the Zavory would be in this same category tastewise?If anyone has tried these,or a couple of them,could you advise as to which might be preferable?

The Sheepnose pimento sounds good as well,but I do have some Red Cheese that are a good tasting variety although a little on the small side.(although it might be difficult to try and stuff a pepper so small).

I am in the Philippines,so I have to impose upon my sister to do my ordering (then forward to me),and because of that,I would prefer to keep the order to one company if at all possible.

Any and all advise is welcome and appreciated.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2009   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

A really good stuffing sweet pepper is Socrates, makes large fairly thick walled peppers and it's tasty and one of the most productive. The Giant Marconi is hard to beat as a grilling pepper and is also very productive. The Peto is kind of in between and makes some huge peppers. They can all be ordered at Tomato Growers Supply along with a huge list of other peppers and many tomato varieties.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Trinidad Perfume is a really nice pepper. I grow one every year, it's flavor is very nice, it's hardy and productive, and it's down right ornamental with all those yellow peppers hanging on it. I grew Zavory this year and didn't think the flavor matched Trinidad Perfume's.

Trinidad Seasoning Pepper is a fleshy red pepper that has excellent taste, but it's hard to find, and is often confused with Tobago Seasoning, which has only average flavor.

Grenada Seasoning is another mild hab-type that really does have hab flavor, but it's another one that the seeds are difficult to find.

If you like stuffing, consider a Cherry Chocolate pepper. It's got medium heat, and is a nice fleshy cherry-type. Almapaprika is another nice stuffing pepper, but let it ripen all the way to red for the best flavor.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2009   #4
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
A really good stuffing sweet pepper is Socrates, makes large fairly thick walled peppers and it's tasty and one of the most productive. The Giant Marconi is hard to beat as a grilling pepper and is also very productive. The Peto is kind of in between and makes some huge peppers. They can all be ordered at Tomato Growers Supply along with a huge list of other peppers and many tomato varieties.
Thanks for the advice Red.I'll have to study up a little on the Peto.I try to stay OP as much as possible.Residing overseas makes it a little difficult to do a seed order,so I try to stay with something I can save seed from when I can.Agreed on the Marconi too...that one is a must have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
Trinidad Perfume is a really nice pepper. I grow one every year, it's flavor is very nice, it's hardy and productive, and it's down right ornamental with all those yellow peppers hanging on it. I grew Zavory this year and didn't think the flavor matched Trinidad Perfume's.

Trinidad Seasoning Pepper is a fleshy red pepper that has excellent taste, but it's hard to find, and is often confused with Tobago Seasoning, which has only average flavor.

Grenada Seasoning is another mild hab-type that really does have hab flavor, but it's another one that the seeds are difficult to find.

If you like stuffing, consider a Cherry Chocolate pepper. It's got medium heat, and is a nice fleshy cherry-type. Almapaprika is another nice stuffing pepper, but let it ripen all the way to red for the best flavor.
Blue..thanks for the heads up on the 2 Trinidads,sounds like I may have to try and round up both.That Grenada sounds good as well as the Cherry Chocolate and the Alma.I'm going to have to be careful that I don't overdo it tho.It's hard to choose between so many good varieties.

Would it be worthwhile to try and get a Poblano and perhaps a mildly hot pepper like Rocotillo?I am a total novice when it comes to the hotter types of peppers,so asking in a forum such as this seems like a good idea.

Anybody care to suggest a variety that would be in the orange color category that would be a good serviceable pepper.It would be great to add a little color to the garden while I'm at it.

Thanks so much for the responses!I do appreciate it.
Old November 4, 2009   #5
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicalgrower View Post

Blue..thanks for the heads up on the 2 Trinidads,sounds like I may have to try and round up both.That Grenada sounds good as well as the Cherry Chocolate and the Alma.I'm going to have to be careful that I don't overdo it tho.It's hard to choose between so many good varieties.

If you figure out how not to overdo it on peppers or tomatoes, please let me know!

Quote:
Would it be worthwhile to try and get a Poblano and perhaps a mildly hot pepper like Rocotillo?I am a total novice when it comes to the hotter types of peppers,so asking in a forum such as this seems like a good idea.
Poblanos are certainly nice peppers, and if you like peppers in the mild to medium range, they'd be great. I don't eat the superhots, or even the standard habanero either, and I try and grow a lot in that heat range, with just a few habs and such to cook and make salsas.

I've grown Rocotilla before, and it's a nice pepper, very hardy and prolific. I don't think it has as much flavor as the seasoning peppers I mentioned above, but it does have a little bit more heat.

Quote:
Anybody care to suggest a variety that would be in the orange color category that would be a good serviceable pepper.It would be great to add a little color to the garden while I'm at it.

Thanks so much for the responses!I do appreciate it.
There is an orange pimento-type called Tangerine that would make a great stuffing pepper. It's a sweet pepper.
Old November 5, 2009   #6
fantoma
Tomatovillian™

This thread is very helpful to me
fantoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2009   #7
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Well,I have my varieties all picked out,and now just need to pare the selections down a bit in case I have too many of the same types.(which I am sure I do).

Here is what I am debating on:

Jimmy Nardello

Red Marconi

Corno di Toro

Ancho San Luis

Aji Dulce #2

Trinidad Perfume

Trinidad Seasoning

NuMex Suave Orange

Doe Hill

Tangerine Pimento

Sheepnose Pimento

Almapaprika

So,I am thinking that I have a lot of selections that are just a variation on a theme.(so to speak).

Anybody care to share their thoughts?

Marconi or Corno di Toro?

Then what appears to be 4 pimentos I'll need to select from.

Gotta have the Jimmy Nardello and both Trinidads (thanks Blueussie for the help),but I need to get opinions on what others are "keepers" here.I'd really kind of like to have the NuMex Suave Orange for the color,but I read that they can be tricky to germinate based on a report from Plantfiles..(or maybe that is typical of that genus...wrong term maybe,but you get my point I am sure).

I had tried to find the Grenada Seasoning as well...I found a source,but they are out of stock..(the retailer also thinks pretty highly of their offerings,and are a little stingy on the seed count...but,what are you going to do)?

Fantoma: Glad we could be of help.

I would really appreciate any input from those of you experienced with any of the peppers listed.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; November 5, 2009 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Added a plea for help!...please?
Old November 5, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Marconi and Corno Di Toro are both really great flavored sweet peppers. In my experience, the Marconi peppers are generally a little larger, but they both taste great. And I grow Sheepnose pimento every year, they're great peppers.

The NuMex Suave Orange actually looks a lot like the Grenada Seasoning pepper. I may have to try that and compare.

I think you've made some nice choices.