Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2011   #1
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Default What am I missing?

Okay, I possess seeds for roughly 90 varieties... I had originally intended to grow about 10 varieties this year; this was before I actually started making a list and collecting seeds! Then I was thinking maybe I can do 20! At which point I had finally compiled an alphabetical list of everything I have acquired (I decided to grow tomatoes less than a year ago!!! so the accumulation has been rather rapid!). And after counting the items on said list... well, I'm wondering if perhaps I could do more than 20....

But let's pretend I'm only going to grow 20 varieties! Here are the ones that I am completely certain I will grow this year:

1) Atkinson
2) Cherokee Purple, Spudakee (grew the regular CP last year... but it met with many ill fates and I never did get a tomato from any of the plants)
3) Frank's Large Red
4) Gildo Petriboni
5) Grandma Mary's Polish
6) Grandma Oliver Chocolate
7) Lime Green Salad (actually, this one is a small plant, so I'm not "counting" it)
8) Matt's Wild Cherry (repeat: just about the only thing that did well for me)
9) Mr. Brown's
10) NAR (repeat: b/c I got nothing from it last year and that seems completely contradictory to everyone else's experience; different seed source this time)
11) Noire De Crimee
12) Paul Robeson (repeat: b/c it was by far the deer's favorite, but the few I got were very good!)
13) Red Star
14) Snow White Cherry (for the "little ones" though I could conceivably switch it out for something different)
15) Yellow Submarine (b/c my 2 youngest like the cute little yellow ones, and I don't want to grow YP if there is a better option)

I won't put my entire list of "haves" on here... or even the list of "really want to grows," because I'm really looking for people to look at my list and tell me what is missing! Not specific varieties, but what "types" of tomatoes have I neglected? And of course, if you would like to recommend specific varieties, I would appreciate the recommendations... though, if I don't already own it, I reeeeeeeeally should NOT be "collecting" any more right now!!!

Oh, and (once I receive the incredible varieties from Carolyn's offer) I will have about 40 varieties in addition to those above that I REALLY want to grow THIS year!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011   #2
jeff in ok
Tomatovillian™

its addicting reading about all the wonderful tomatoes on these forums and wanting to try all of them !! i have collected for two winters and have more tomato seeds of different variaties than i could grow in several years only growing one of each !! like thats gonna happen!! sorry i cant help with your queastion cause im in the same boat as you.

im gonna focus on pinks this year for the most part trying a couple of new to me bicolors also . good luck growing!!
jeff in ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011   #3
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for replying! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one!!!
Old January 16, 2011   #4
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Shlacm, how about a REALLY good large green-when-ripe and a REALLY good Yellow or Orange? Also if you haven't already tried it...Black Cherry. Do you have Cherokee Green? How about Kellogg's Breakfast?
Old January 16, 2011   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, not much help here either with suggestions about what else you "need" to include to round out your list. Just another person in the same boat...last year I gave up after lots of agonizing about which ones to grow; we finally just enlarged the garden and grew everything! Really a lot of work as it was over 150 varieties and doubles of some, but more realistic for me. One year later, have even MORE new varieties than last year and am just planning another garden addition!
So my advice is, if it is at all possible, save yourself the time and aggravation and just figure out a way that you can grow them all.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011   #6
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda10 View Post
Shlacm, how about a REALLY good large green-when-ripe and a REALLY good Yellow or Orange? Also if you haven't already tried it...Black Cherry. Do you have Cherokee Green? How about Kellogg's Breakfast?
I have KBX and Aunt Ruby's German Green (my only large green when ripe). And yes, Black Cherry too, lol. No Cherokee Green though it's on my "want" list!

Other yellows and oranges: Earl of Edgecombe, Mary Reynolds, Jaune Flamee, Yellow Belgium, Pork Chop... and some little ones (like Coyote) and a few bi-colors.

If I can only do one large orange/yellow, should I choose KBX?
Old January 16, 2011   #7
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Sorry, not much help here either with suggestions about what else you "need" to include to round out your list. Just another person in the same boat...last year I gave up after lots of agonizing about which ones to grow; we finally just enlarged the garden and grew everything! Really a lot of work as it was over 150 varieties and doubles of some, but more realistic for me. One year later, have even MORE new varieties than last year and am just planning another garden addition!
So my advice is, if it is at all possible, save yourself the time and aggravation and just figure out a way that you can grow them all.
Hmmm... winning the lottery would help! Sadly, we are stuck in a rental until I finish Grad. School and settle into a good job! So... I can't really make the drastic changes that would be necessary for a significant garden expansion... though I'm planning a small army of "Earthtainers" as we speak!
Old January 16, 2011   #8
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Yes, KBX is like the potato-leaf version of Kellogg's Breakfast anyway. Aunt Ruby's German Green is a perfectly fine green but if you want a few seeds of Cherokee Green, PM with your address and I'll get some to you.
Old January 17, 2011   #9
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Lillian's Yellow Heirloom, JD's Special C-Tex, Black Krim, Eva Purple Ball... how about a nice Wapsipinicon Peach Tomato for good measure... and some NARX... oh and... Aunt anybody's tomato... =D
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2011   #10
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

...and then some Cuostralee...
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2011   #11
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah! View Post
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom, JD's Special C-Tex, Black Krim, Eva Purple Ball... how about a nice Wapsipinicon Peach Tomato for good measure... and some NARX... oh and... Aunt anybody's tomato... =D

(Noire de Crimee and NAR will have to do in place of NARX and Black Krim, lol), JD's Special C-Tex and Cuostralee are both on that list of things I REALLY want to grow this year! How about Roughwood Golden Tiger instead of Wapsipinicon Peach?

Looking at the Earthtainer instructions I'm having SERIOUS doubts about my ability ($$$-wise) to build 10 or 20 THIS season!!! EEEEEEKKKK!!!! What am I going to do!?!?!?!
Old January 17, 2011   #12
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Really, all I can do is commiserate. I've been on here two years now and a bigger bunch of enablers I've never seen. Every time I despair of ever growing out all the seeds I've got, somebody starts talking about some new kind and I just HAVE to have that one too.

I just found out Peacevine Cherry has super high levels of vitamins, including one that makes kids calm (Peaceful) so despite the fact that I don't like cherry tomatoes (and I already HAVE 16 kinds of cherry tomatoes on my grow list) I immediately need to go buy a pack of those. And of course if I've got to pay for shipping I might as well see what else looks good...

You probably need Peacevine at your house
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2011   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see a heart on there. Kosovo if you want a near sure thing or Donskoi if you are looking for really big and tasty in a heart.
I would swap Indian Stripe for Noire de Crimee or Paul Robeson because it is so much more productive and seems to be more disease tolerant.
If you want a super yellow cherry for the kids then get Sungold hybrid. It's super sweet and very productive.
How can you not grow Stump of the World or Limbaugh's Legacy.
I agree KBX is a fantastic gold.
NAR was super productive for me this year; maybe you need to do a little pruning on it and keep it to 2 or 3 main stems.
For insurance you might want to try Big Beef hybrid. It usually will make a good crop when most others won't.
If you need seed for Stump, Indian Stripe, Limbaugh's, or KBX, just PM me.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2011   #14
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Is there a plum/elongated/bomb shape on your list? It's one of my favorite types (I'm including Purple Russian and Opalka in this general shape category), I usually get great production, and I llke to grow several colors each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydog View Post
Really, all I can do is commiserate. I've been on here two years now and a bigger bunch of enablers I've never seen. Every time I despair of ever growing out all the seeds I've got, somebody starts talking about some new kind and I just HAVE to have that one too....
Me too! Last year I attempted to make room in the tomato-seed vault by doing a SASE seed offer with (my mistake) a few "wants" I listed as an afterthought, and then people offered so many interesting varieties that I really had to restrain myself and still ended up with enough different varieties for 2-3 years. And I keep coming back and reading about more varieties that sound like they'd do well here, and then Carolyn offers more tantalizing varieties, and I'm still buying more seeds!

Every so often I run into someone who's grown only 3-4 tomato plants (for 3-4 people) and when I mention I grow 30-50 varieties a year, they look at me kind of funny and ask what I do with all the tomatoes. Then they start backing away...
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2011   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlacm View Post
.. though I'm planning a small army of "Earthtainers" as we speak!
See...that's what I'm talkin' about...you'll find a way!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote