Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 28, 2013   #1
ErieDeare
Tomatovillian™

Default ONIONS When to pull them, Melons when to pick

I have planted onion sets a week after Easter and than the onion plants in middle of May both Spanish Yellow's when is the best time to pull them or I should say how do you tell when they are ready to pull?

Also this in the first year that I have planted Melons and know nothing about them and when they are ready to pick. Can someone please give me some advise on this?
ErieDeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2013   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I pull onions when the stem fall over.

Melons? cantaloupe or watermelon? Cantaloupe usually turns tan when ripe and the stem slips from the melon very easily. Watermelon has a "curly q" tendril next to the petiole stem that grows from the plant that attaches to the melon and when that turns brown the melon is ripe. I also check the bottom of the melon to see that the belly has changed from white to yellow, too.
Old July 28, 2013   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

if you look at the threads in the allium forum over the past week there are threads with my comments about harvesting onions.

melons are difficult. google how to tell when ripe. it isn't real easy but there are things to look for. remember once a melon is picked they won't ripe any further so it is important to id the right time.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote