Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2010   #1
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Final 2010 Tomato Season Report

Hey Guyz, here's my Final 2010 Report: 9/9/2010 all grown organically without sprays:

() = DTM

OSU Blue...6 to 7 foot tall, average taste, huge production, earlier fruits were more purple (top third of tomato) than mid summer ones but now more purple again which sux because I only grew them because they were supposed to be BLUE not 30% blue and rest red! LOL. Good disease resistance.

Sun Gold (54)...tall plant, great production excellent tasting cherries as usual. Above average disease resistance.

Hege German Pink (69)...Average size plants, GREAT taste, very good production and early for a full size tomato. Average disease resistance.

Gary O Sena (72) tall plants, GREAT taste, very good production and early for a full size tomato. Very Good disease resistance.

German Johnson (76) Very tall plant, Very good taste, Good production. Average disease resistance.

Spudakee Purple (76) Very tall plant, very good production, good disease resistance. Very Good taste.

BrandyBoy (76) tall plant, above average disease resistance, Very Good taste. Average Production.

Cowlicks Brandywine (76) tall plant, Above average disease resistance, Very Good taste. Good production.

Sudduth Brandywine (78) tall plant, Average disease resistance. Very Good taste. Average production.

Orange Minsk (80) Short but full plants that don't want to grow up the Texas cage. Very Good taste. Average disease resistance. Great production of beefstakes AND hearts.

Big Cheef (83) Average size with very good taste and very good production. Average disease resistance.

Dana's Dusky Rose (84) Tall plant with GREAT taste and Above average disease resistance. Good production.

Porterhouse (86) Average size plant with average production and good taste. A couple 2 plus pounders on him! Above average disease resistance.

Vorlon (86) Tall size plant with average production and good taste. Average disease resistance.

KBX (89) Huge plant with very good production and very good disease resistance. Very good taste.

Granny Cantrell German PL (90)...Huge size plant with average production, very good taste, some extra large fruit and above average disease resistance.

Brandywine/NAR F4 cross (101)...Average size plant with below average production this year and below average disease resistance. Good taste.

Goose Creek (90)...tall plant with good production, average to good taste and good disease resistance but LATE to ripen for such a small variety!

Claude Brown's Yellow Giant (90)...Very tall huge plant (tallest in garden) with Above average production for such large tomatoes, very good taste with some HUGE fruit (several 2+ pounders) on them! Average disease resistance. Problem is, it's crossed. It's NOT yellow. It's a huge pink! But it makes me happy...;-)

Marianna's Conflict (90)...Average size plant with poor production on a very diseased plant. VERY unlike previous years. Previous years this was a winner...

Notes:
Very hot sunny dry season (Beaks all time record for hottest Delaware summer ever by 1.9F daily average) has ripened the same varieties 10 to 16 days earlier than last year's cool and cloudy season. Big Zac seeds failed germination. Gave Big Beef a rest this year. Best taste award going to Dana's Dusky Rose. Tied for second are Hege German Pink and Gary O Sena just a tad behind. All 3 even beating the Brandys! A very, very good season...;-)

Old September 9, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious, but when you make comments about disease resistance for each variety, what specific diseases are you referring to?

The common foliage diseases or some of the much more systemic diseases?
Old September 9, 2010   #3
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Just curious, but when you make comments about disease resistance for each variety, what specific diseases are you referring to?

The common foliage diseases or some of the much more systemic diseases?
Sorry, I should have been more specific! My history here is I get Early Blight and the Septoria specs and spots. Knock on wood no LB yet here! By this time of September my plants look pretty ragged. So I base my disease ratings purely on personal results here in my garden where I must grow them! I realize miles vary and all that and this is FAR from scientific! I consider how early a plant starts getting touched by disease and also basing it on right now what I see in mid September. If a plant is about shot I give it a poor rating. (My F4 Brandy/Nar cross). Most are about average right now meaning about half the plant looks bad and mostly from the waist down and still producing smaller and not as pretty fruit. Above average means less damage and still kicking out beautiful fruit! Gary O Sena is rockin the house this year. Absolute beauties and nice and large like I like them. The most BLT worthy in my patch this year! The Dana's Dusky Rose won best taste honors but smaller than I like and for that size I think I should be getting more of them but still a keeper! And rather than give a "Taste Report" on each variety I figure it's better to place them altogether in a single topic. No offense to those who do so however...

BTW, I think you said you have the real deal Orange Minsk seed. If you could keep me in mind during your next seed offer I would love to compare the all beefstake version to my Beef and Heart version...;-)
Old September 9, 2010   #4
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Claude Brown's Yellow Giant this season also. Mine has giant yellow fruit on a large vigorous plant. So they at least have that in common!

SteveS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2010   #5
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Steve, the real CB Yellow Giant is on my next year's wish list if you could spare a few seeds. I really like this cross too and I could send you some CB NOT Yellow Giant seed in return....;-)
Old September 9, 2010   #6
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Interesting report, thank you. I haven't grown most of them. From your list that I grew this year:
Sungold grew and produced like gangbusters here, but it was one of the first to get EB. It didn't slow it down though, very vigorous plant!
KBX is big here too and EB resistant too. The plants were not overly productive, but not duds either like Brandwine can be.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote