Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2017   #1
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Default Stump of the World - Not, wrong leaves

I know this has come up before for others. My SOTW seedlings are all regular leaved- all 3 of 3 that germinated. The seed came from a reputable vendor who listed them as potato leaf. I potted up two. I gave one away, unlabelled, to someone who just wants tomatoes and doesn't care about what variety they are.

I'm trying to decide whether to plant the other one myself or find a new home for it. I only have space for 10 plants- 8 regular tomatoes in my raised bed and 2 cherry tomatoes in containers.

Should I take a chance and fill a spot with this unknown, or do I instead go out and buy a plant of some known variety to fill the spot? There are a few places locally where I can still find interesting heirloom varieties.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #2
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Tomorrow my answer may be different, but today I would not grow out a mystery plant.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffin View Post
I know this has come up before for others. My SOTW seedlings are all regular leaved- all 3 of 3 that germinated. The seed came from a reputable vendor who listed them as potato leaf. I potted up two. I gave one away, unlabelled, to someone who just wants tomatoes and doesn't care about what variety they are.

I'm trying to decide whether to plant the other one myself or find a new home for it. I only have space for 10 plants- 8 regular tomatoes in my raised bed and 2 cherry tomatoes in containers.

Should I take a chance and fill a spot with this unknown, or do I instead go out and buy a plant of some known variety to fill the spot? There are a few places locally where I can still find interesting heirloom varieties.
Please read Tania's link and be sure to look at the history

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Stump_of_the_World

The same info can be found in the Legacy Forum here when Quisenberry's nephew posted and surprised all of us,I think his user name was something like LQ Berry or something like that.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old June 3, 2017   #4
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

For me, it would depend. I only have space for about 10-12 in-ground plants, so I probably wouldn't use space on a mystery plant.

But if I had a lot of space and was also growing something similar to the variety I had intended to grow, I would grow out a mystery plant, especially if, as in the case here, there was a chance that it might be a throwback to an alternate strain.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Seeing Carolyn's link, i think i would grow that one out. I'm usually a 'fence-sitter',
'coin-tosser' when i have something not as described, but in this instance i would want
to see if it is true to flavor/taste as the RL. But i have lots of room.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

SOTW (RL & PL)... been there, done that.

I deleted the link as it didn't work, but I'll try again.

Last edited by Tormato; June 7, 2017 at 02:30 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
SOTW (RL & PL)... been there, done that.

I deleted the link as it didn't work, but I'll try again.
Maybe this will work,it's the thread in the Legacy Forum where Ben Quiseberry's nephew, LQ Berry appeared,a huge surprise and answered all of our questions.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7544

Start with post #9

Carolyn
Old June 8, 2017   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Maybe this will work,it's the thread in the Legacy Forum where Ben Quiseberry's nephew, LQ Berry appeared,a huge surprise and answered all of our questions.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7544

Start with post #9

Carolyn
My bad, Carolyn.

What I meant to say was that I deleted a link of mine with more info on SOTW.

If one does a search here at T'ville for "Perpetual Change tomato" that thread should come up. My input is at post #11.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #9
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

I decided to go ahead and plant it, I'll see what it produces. It's my first time growing SOTW, so I won't have any basis for comparing the flavor to the potato leaf.

In the end, I decided I'd rather plant something I produced myself than go looking for something suitable elsewhere- especially after reviewing all the history on the older threads. If I like it, I'll save some seed.

What I may also do is try to start a larger batch of seedlings next year to see if I get both leaf types from the same packet. I'd do it now, but I think it is too late for me to get fruit if I were to try (I'm in NH).
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote