Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 11, 2011   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Best yield and other questions

Looking for a cherry that yields a lot. I'd like to plant one for the chickens. Was thinking Tess's, Matt's Wild Cherry or even, gag, a yellow plum, since we won't be eating this one but using it for chicken treats.
Then, want another big yielder for dehydrating. I couldn't stand the Reisentraube last year and it didn't yield well. I'm planting Sun Golds for fresh. We loved the Cherokee purples dry but would prefer a cherry that I can just split in half (or whole if its a tiny grape) to pop in the dehydrator, gobs at a time.
Any suggestions?
I'll be starting my spring tomatoes in a couple of weeks so if I need to order seeds I need to make some decisions.
Also, is green grape worth planting? I have the seeds but had a couple of failures so haven't tasted them. Have heard good and bad reviews.
Would love for something to produce during AZ summer but know that's asking a lot, even with shade cloth. I start early to get as many tomatoes as possible before it gets too hot.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Maybe try Yellow Ripple Current,last time i grew it,it got huge,froze heaps,kids ate truck loads,birds flogged lots,but still lots ended up in the compost pile.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

Do you mean Broad Ripple Currant, which is yellow and supposedly found growing in a crack in a sidewalk in the Broad Ripple neighborhood of Indianapolis?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've never heard of this one. Where can I find seed for this?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Seed Savers Exchange used to offer Broad Ripple Currant in their public catalog. I haven't seen it for a few years now. It's not a true currant tomato.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2011   #6
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Do you mean Broad Ripple Currant, which is yellow and supposedly found growing in a crack in a sidewalk in the Broad Ripple neighborhood of Indianapolis?
Yes thats it,sorry forgot the Broad part of its name,dont know so much about it been found growing in a crack in a side walk in the Broad Ripple neighbourhood of Indianapolis but i'm sure it and the Red Ripple Currant have close links to the original wild tomatoes from South America
Ive also tried the red but thought the taste was just horrible.

Ive got seed of the yellow if anyones keen ,send a PM
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2011   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Consider purple haze if you can find seed. I grew it for the first time this fall and found it to be productive, saladette sized (mostly - one grew out as about a 6 ounce, regular oblongish tomato) tomato that was delicious even under our challenging fall conditions. Challenges are very hot summers, late start on plants, late start on fruit and by the time they are ripening, frost is a danger regularly and cold nights are typical. Even with those challenges, the fruit had lots of gel, seeds, flavor and good texture. I forget the parentage, but, the fruit is purple with dark greenish stripes/markings on the top.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote