Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 17, 2008   #1
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

Default Beyond tomatoes

I have no sunny space in my yard for an inground garden so my only option has been pots. Tomatoes have been my obsession for two years, but I am ready to try some other things. I have grown peppers in pots with success, so this year I am adding cucumbers, squash, eggplant, lettuce and bush beans.

I was in the bookstore over the weekend and came across the book "McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers." I spent a couple of hours today reading through it. It has given me some confidence that I can grow something besides tomatoes successfully. I will just have to cut back on my tomato habit to make room for other things..... Maybe next year.

____
Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2008   #2
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Sounds a good book Marge!
Have you seen the thread showing soda bottle, self watering containers and the Belgian dwarf tom growers thread. Might all ow you to expand.
Pleased that you have found the confidence to grow more. Hope the fence etc can take the strain.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2008   #3
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

I've had great luck with all of the veggies you mentioned. I think the only challenge I found was making sure that the pots didn't dry out during the hottest months. But even that was easy to overcome with twice a day watering during the dry spells.

I thought loose leaf lettuce and beans were by far the easiest to container grow because they fit nicely in my smaller pots. I still grow quite a bit of lettuce in pots because I have a smaller garden than I'd like, they look nice in all their leafy colorful glory, and because I can move them around to keep them safe from hungry bunnies.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #4
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Carrots also do well in containers. As carrots like coole weather for their mature stage, they do best for me as a fall or early spring crop. Deep containers obviously work best for carrots. They are also quite decorative with their nice, bushy green foliage.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #5
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

When i lived in Michigan I would get crazy to be in soil,any soil by spring!!! So I grew peas,carrots,lettuce,leeks,any herbs,potato's,radishes,kales,chards,tomato's..... . All grew fine in containers!!!
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2008   #6
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Marge.

"McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: Create Container Gardens of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers." This is an excellent tome IMO. I credit this book with getting me so excited about container gardening.

It was an added bonus that Rose Marie (Nichols McGee) runs a nursery/seed shop 20 miles from my home. I get some of my seeds there every year.