Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 31, 2013   #1
jasonig
Tomatovillian™

Default Fungus or disease? Help please

New to tomatoville, what a great forum! Hi everyone. So I replanted from seed trays to small pots last weekend, now some leaves seem to be dying, gradually yellowing. a few white spots on leaves. soil is organic miracle grow. no fertilizer yet, just what is in the soil. all getting great sun, still indoors. is this shock or a disease of some kind? thanks so much for any help. photos here:
IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg
jasonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Hard to tell for sure, but looks like a nutrient deficiency. I would give them a lite fertilization and start hardening them outside. Then as soon as they are hardy enough get them in the ground.

You could try tomato tone or some other organic fertilizer like compost tea, fish emulsion etc at 1/2 normal strength. Then see what happens. If it is a nutrient deficiency it should green up within days. (probably nitrogen or a combination of nitrogen and other things)

Of course there are many reasons for nutrient deficiencies. PH or something attacking the roots...things that you can look into if the fert doesn't work.

Plant Nutrient Deficiencies

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; May 31, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #3
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Welcome from another NY'er. What part of the city are you in?

How much water are you giving them? That first pic looks like overwatering...
Tough to tell but the white spots might be sunburn.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #4
jasonig
Tomatovillian™

thanks! Im in Chelsea but moving to Fairfield CT on June 15, so I wont get them in the ground before then.... I think I am watering modestly, waiting til top of soil dries up. Might be sun spots they are in a huge window and as you know it went from winter to full on summer in 24 hours here, so i suppose they might be shaken up a bit....
Old May 31, 2013   #5
jasonig
Tomatovillian™

thank you. i do have some tomato tone i bought. was waiting til they were in the ground but ill start now
Old May 31, 2013   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Stick your finger down in the mix at least an inch to check your watering.
What is the NPK on the Miracle grow and was it labeled soilless mix?
Tomato tone- granular right? That will be a slow release fertilizer. Won't help you in the short term. You need a liquid for a quick hit. I would not hit them with fert yet depending on what is already in the mix. You need to make sure it is a nutrient deficiency first as over fertilizing could fry them.
I am sure someone else will chime in on the diagnosis.

And good luck on the move!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

If it's Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Soil then the NPK is only 01-.05-.05.
Looks like nutrient deficiency to me too.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013   #8
Paradajz
Tomatovillian™

Just water them with a mild solution ( e.g. 50% of recommended quantity ) of any complex water- soluable starter fertilizer ( NPK 1:2:1 + micro absolutely recommended here ), it'll be ok in a week.
Those plants show symptoms of nitrogen, potassium and iron deficiency, which basicaly suggests that the root system isn't doing fine, so do not by any chance try to hit it only with the deficient elements, but use any complex starter fertilizer ( e.g. i usually use Yara's 15:30:15 + micro elements ), in other words, any fertilizer with adequate ( enlarged ) phosphorus quantity, sufficient nitrogen and potassium, + microelements ( magnesium, iron and boron are a must ).

I also don't know which kind of water you use for watering, but such symptoms suggest that the soil PH is far to low so it might be wise to use slightly alcaline water ( don't know for NYC, but in my country just about any water is slightly alcaline because of high calcium quantities ). Anyway, don't use any low PH stuff there, it should be just fine.

br,
ivan

EDIT:
p.s. just about any organic foliar treatment ( e.g. humic acids + organic auxin ) at the same time would add quite some energy to those plants and deliver a much faster and adequate result, making them far more capable of healthy producing yields later.
on the other hand, if your plants pass to 4 sets of leafs with such kind of deficiency it will later be highly disease- prone and the yields will be lowered even if you manage to resolve the deficiency after it.
so, finally, a mild ( e.g. 30% of recommended rate ) boron+phosphorus foliar treatment when plants develop 4 sets of leafs ( usually a couple of days before planting to the final grounds ) will generaly make wonders with your plant's future health and yields

Last edited by Paradajz; June 1, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Paradajz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013   #9
jasonig
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for these very helpful suggestions. I'm on it today. Very much appreciated!