Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2018   #1
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Default EU bans neonicotinoids

My respect and congratulations to the EU for their wise decision.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I applaud this decision.
Old April 28, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Great move! Go bees!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Why does it take so long to happen here in NA?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

For some reason we always end up with long "transition" periods. This gives the users of the product some time to find an alternative, and gives the producer of the neonics a last grab of sales money before the ban. In other words, the reasons are economic, and the politicians do put the health of the economy ahead of the environment, every time.

This is the same reason that we have coverups whenever big players have done some seriously evil thing. The people in charge don't want to rock the boat, affect the stock market, hurt the established institution or company etc etc. So sick of the ivory towers, I would rather see them all gone.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2018   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Good. Something reasonable from the EU.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #7
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Systemic insecticide has always sounded like a bad idea to me.
That being said, the bottom line is we should all be doing something we have control over directly, TODAY.
Plant a habitat for native bees, no matter how small. Include as much diversity in the flowering season and plant species as possible.
I love all the people (not you guys) that ★★★★★ about urban expansion, big ag, and chemicals, but never have planted a garden or any flowers.
If everyone did this, the cumulative effect would be meaningful.
I need to do a species count on my farm for the three permanent pollinator plantings I've done, but I'd guess its around 40. All native to my region.
I get flowers in April and they go until November.
I'd rather use my time, energy, and resources to do something I have control over.
Not trying to poke anyone here, just wanted to throw this out there as a reminder/encouragement to do something tangible than fight the internet wars that don't do anything but rile people up. Most likely I am just preaching to the choir, as I know most of you are more than just tomato fans.
I guess what I am saying is spread the word to those you interact with to plant flowers. Give them your time and knowledge on how to get it done.

Last edited by PureHarvest; April 30, 2018 at 10:36 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #8
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Hi Steve (Heritage), Thank you for posting about the EU ban on neonicotinoid pesticides and the supportive link.
Bower and PureHarvest, You both bring up points that I feel are well worth noting.
Thanks!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Maybe North America will wake up when Europe refuses to buy contaminated produce!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #10
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately things go slowly here too. Lobbies are strong and most farmers fear their harvests. Roundup is still not illegal despite of huge petitions and lots of promises from politicians.
But let's hope this move is the first of many to come.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Roundup is very much available here, in the gardening and hardware stores. It is the last resort for those who want to get rid of dandelions and other gutsy weeds. (My dear Mom was willing to purchase it and I was able to convince her that even when used sparingly and locally, the effect on enviroment and on humans isn't good. Thank God, she gave up the idea and now we use our muscle power instead... )
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #12
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

I guess I'm in the minority on pesticides and herbicides. I think the environmentalists sometimes go overboard on banning things.

When you ban all of the pesticides and herbicides and genetically modified plants, you're going to see the price of vegetables skyrocket and the availability of those perfect produce items in the grocery store go down.

If we continue down that path, we will see a return to something my grandparents encountered back around 1925. They saw an ad for a product guaranteed to kill any kind of insect. It was only 25 cents; so they ordered it. They received 2 blocks: one labeled "A" and one labeled "B". The instructions said, "Place insect on block A and smash with block B."
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We have nothing to gain and everything to lose by banning everything under the sun.
Banning is a knee jerk reaction to an underlying cause.
What we need to do is educate people so they wont want to use the products instead of just waiting around for the next type of bug kill or what ever to come out.

Which surely will and sooner or later it will be banned to and on to the next round of soon to be banned products.
In effect banning keeps these companies in business and is a distraction from what is really going on and that is control of the herd.

In other words the people in their subconscious will see Friendly Bee Killer on the labels not insecticide.
The same way I see frog lizard toad and fish killer on labels meant to kill insects.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #14
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHaskins View Post
I guess I'm in the minority on pesticides and herbicides. I think the environmentalists sometimes go overboard on banning things.

When you ban all of the pesticides and herbicides and genetically modified plants, you're going to see the price of vegetables skyrocket and the availability of those perfect produce items in the grocery store go down.

If we continue down that path, we will see a return to something my grandparents encountered back around 1925. They saw an ad for a product guaranteed to kill any kind of insect. It was only 25 cents; so they ordered it. They received 2 blocks: one labeled "A" and one labeled "B". The instructions said, "Place insect on block A and smash with block B."
Jerry, I hear your point. But, the problems can not be solved by the minds and system that created them.
Our ag system is built on curative systems instead of preventative systems. Soil Health is finally gaining traction in the industry. All great societies that failed, failed because they did not build soil, rather lost it.
The plow is probably the greatest threat to soil and food prouction
Simply put: if we do the known things that build soil and soil health, many problems are solved. When we disregard soil and use reactive solutions, the problems magnify and snowball.
It's like having a leaky roof and buying bigger buckets. Then buying pumps to pump the water out of the bucket so you dont have to hand dump them.
Fixing the holes in the roof would be the logical fix though.
Our system is a hammer looking for a nail.
I'm not saying chemicals won't ever be part of the equation, but it is intellectually dishonest to say that we would revert back to hand picking and killing bugs. The point is that we use way too much of everything now and the cumulative effects are going to catch up. The system is set up so that the underlying problem is never solved, so the mind set is that we will all starve to death if we can't keep using chemical and man-made inputs.
It won't happen over night, but there are ways to work towards a system where we reduce/eliminate annual tillage, increase year around soil cover (cover crops/rotations that have semi-permanent cover), use proper rates of nutrients, and reduce the amount of grains we grow (which have little nutritive value).
For the record, I am not a tree-hugging enviro-whacko. Nor am I a vegetarian, or an organic purist. I think grass-fed meats are the foundation of human health, followed by vegetables (especially leafy greens and brassicas).
When people eliminate carb-heavy foods from their diets (just look at the sea of fast food and packaged foods in our stores/restaurants), our need for grain production will drop, and our society's health will greatly improve, which will also solve a lot of healthcare issues/costs.
I don't have all the answers on how that will work on each farm. But I read about and visit farms all the time that are building topsoil, reducing or eliminating steps where fuel or chemicals are used, and putting their efforts into understanding how to harness the power and complexity of the biology in the soil to do the work they were created to do. And these are mostly conventional farms. Using the soil as an nothing more than an anchor for roots, and just adding ingredients from there is foolish and short-sighted. Our current system is a blip on the timeline of Ag's history. The plow in the recent past, followed today by cheap oil and money and the products that come from them have allowed this mentality to manifest. I think we have been dumbed down as a society to accept these methods, because it takes another, albeit small, step to do some homework and thinking to make the changes where we are harnessing the biology to go with the chemistry and physical possibilities of the soil's potential. We now know that plant roots are willing to give up 25-40% of the sugars they make from photosynthesis to exude it to the roots to feed the microbial population in the soil. They would not do that if it wasn't important. When we till and spray, we are screwing up the process and destroying the network that is building. I could go on. If anyone wants to watch an easy to understand presentation on all this, this is great because it looks at the soil system as an economy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1U6yhwafbY&t=147s. I know I am turned off by internet warriors that paste links in comment sections, but this presentation is worth the hour if you have it to spare.
I just know that anything can be scaled up. If small farms can make this work, it can be done on large farms if the will and support is there.
This will be hard to change when the government subsidizes crop production like it does, chemical and food companies are loaded with cash, and the healthcare industry needs a customer base that is being fed foods that keep them chasing the next pill, procedure, or gadget.
Again, I am not an organic purist in disguise, pushing a hidden agenda. I just think we need to put more focus on the biology and power of the natural system and harness it. Maybe in 50-100 years the result of that will be little use of man-made inputs, less fuel use, and a return to thriving eco-systems and societies.
The effects of our system are there for all to see. How many people can say that the soil and water bodies in their neck of the woods are not contaminated? And I don't buy into the thresholds that are given for safe levels of things that are tested for and found. There is profit to be lost if we had honest actors policing this stuff. We see it every day. You can all name multiple cases off the top of your head where it is proven that some industry screwed up and tried to cover up. The list is endless.
There is so much mixing of compounds in the environment that it is mathematically impossible to calculate the synergistic effect of all the things that are present in the environment. To continue on as is is madness to think the environment can handle the load into the future.
Whew, rant off.

Last edited by PureHarvest; May 2, 2018 at 10:16 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2018   #15
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Ironically, reducing tilling and plowing has been the biggest environmental benefit of the Roundup-ready revolution. When I was a kid, soil erosion was the hot environmental topic. It's mostly a moot point today, now that most farms have moved to no-till, roundup-ready crops. They spray and plant in one pass. We may certainly have swapped one problem for others, time will tell.

Another issue with regulation is that governments are national, but our food supply is international. We are eating food from countries where the governments struggle to maintain basic social order. It would be nice to think they regulate their ag chemicals, but that seems like wishful thinking to me. And thanks to our trade agreements, we are not allowed to ask any questions about imported produce. Banning a chemical from American farms does not remove it from our grocery stores, by any means.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote