Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 26, 2013   #1
Mark$
Tomatovillian™

Default How do you package seeds for shipping

Over the years I have received seeds from vendors that do not use sufficient padding or request hand stamping in the mail. While this does not have a great impact on small hard seeds, I have received many a crushed seed in the process. What is the best procedure to use when sending seeds through the postal service?
Mark$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2013   #2
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Depending on the seeds, I either back them with a single thickness of bubble wrap or wrap them in a paper towel. I have received crushed seeds as well, especially in seed trades when people just toss them in an envelope in a little plastic zip lock. A little padding goes a long way!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2013   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link on the subject that might interest.

Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...light=problems
Old November 26, 2013   #4
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Small seeds such as tomato and pepper seeds to some extent can be sent in a plain envelope with something like a thick paper towel for padding. If there is more than one packet they need to be taped down so that they can't get on top on each other.

Bean, squash, corn beets definitely have to go in a padded bubble envelope. Mustard seed is right on the edge and if I was going to mail a package I'd put a cardboard ring around it.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I want to add that I wouldn't trust a hand stamp request that much unless it was a small post office. I think it varies with the postal processing center that does the cancellation and how careful the machine(s) are adjusted.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2013   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Most of my seeds are hand delivered to a person who then hand delivers them to the end receiver.
They go from Texas to Alaska to Washington to Colorado to Iowa.
Really.

If they go in the mail they go in coin envelops then inside a mailing envelope with a paper towel around them.
None of these people are members here or any other forum but are just as enthusiastic about gardening.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2013   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
I want to add that I wouldn't trust a hand stamp request that much unless it was a small post office. I think it varies with the postal processing center that does the cancellation and how careful the machine(s) are adjusted.
Since I deal with the post office a lot at work, I definitely would not trust a "Hand Cancel" request these days. If it can possibly be run through the sorting machines, it will be. I've sent mailings at a higher "Non Machinable" rate, and have gotten reports from recipients that they have arrived chewed to pieces by some piece of postal machinery.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2013   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark$ View Post
What is the best procedure to use when sending seeds through the postal service?
I generally send a few packets of thin seeds like tomatoes or potatoes in a greeting card. If there are several packets they get taped to the card so that they don't bunch up. I send anything with thicker seeds, or lots of packets in a bubble mailer or in a box. A little extra for postage and a proper mailer is a lot less costly in the long run than having one packet of seeds damaged in the mail and have to spend the labor to correspond back and forth about replacing it.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2013   #9
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

While I do much of the above to ship my seeds (bubble mailers for larger packs, paper toweling wrap for smaller orders) I have to mention there is another problem that I don't have an answer for --

The Post Office is using "scanners" at hubs to check "packages" for illegal Rx drugs. The problem is that often the "non-machinable" "letters" are now classed as "packages". There was a TV news story about it last summer.

The scans can kill the seeds.

The seeds will LOOK OK but the radiation will have damaged them. It doesn't seem to be as bad (high) of a rate as the radiation used after 9/11 as it doesn't seem to kill ALL the seeds in a package as it did then. But the germination rate goes WAY down.

So far last summer I had 3 reports from customers of poor germination on seeds I know were good when they left me. All from the same area - E Ky and Tenn. So my guess is that some hub in that area was using a scanner when the seeds went thru.

If anyone here that works for the Post Office has some hints on what to do about that I would really love to hear about it.

I currently put a sticker on every package that reads "live seeds , do not xray" but the clerks say that doesn't do anything, as the "machines" don't read that.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2013   #10
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Aluminum foil might protect against the x-rays, but that could also provoke the P. O. to open your package to see what is hidden inside.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2013   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I use both bubble wrap and double/triple layers of paper towel when I send seeds.

Bubble wrap option is always used for larger seeds (like cucumbers, squash, melons). I do not think that paper towel will be sufficient to protect large seeds.

For small seeds (tomato, pepper, lettuce), we give customers an option to choose either 'standard' envelope (which means I'd use paper towelling) or bubble wrap option (a bit more expensive).

Over 80% of our customers choose to get 'standard' packaging, and I had no statistically significant complaints about germination / seed damage in the mail with this packaging, although a few folks did mention seeing 'imprints' on the seed packets.

I also receive lots of seeds from many places, both commercial and individuals. Most of small seed packs arrive in standard envelopes, wrapped in a layer or double layers of napkin/paper towel. Perhaps the postal equipment in Canada is more gentle, but I have not noticed any seed damage issues - except some cases when seeds are sent in a paper bag and not padded by anything - in these cases I often see seed damage.

Another important point about seed packaging when they have to cross the border - standard envelopes have near 100% chance to 'get through customs' with no problems. Bubble wraps... well... sometimes get noticed and inspected.

So I would prefer to send standard envelopes to the USA, as it is safer for folks who do not bother with the USDA small lot seed permit.

So my packaging style evolved from my own experience on the 'receiving end', and I package seeds the way I'd prefer to receive seeds myself.

My $0.02

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2013   #12
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

The best system I have found is as follows: I buy 1/32" foam in rolls, with each sheet measuring 12"x12". I cut each sheet into 4 squares, each measuring 6"x6". You can then fold each 6"x6" sheet over a seed package (or 2 packages, of tomato/pepper seeds). I secure it with a rubber band. You can send 2 packages this way for the standard letter rate, although I put $.66 stamps on them which makes them "non-machinable" (or so they say). I've never had one come back due to being too thick, and I've never had seeds crushed. Both sides of the package are protected by foam.

For 3 or more packages, or larger seeds, I use bubble envelopes. You can get them for about $.18 each, but the postage is $1.69 for up to 3 ounces.

Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote