Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 23, 2014   #1
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default what's wrong with this plant?

I'm new to container growing. This basket is in my hoop house and is a Garden Pearl. I feed it fish emulcion once a week, but as you can see it is in serious need of something. I have harvested some very good cherry tomatoes from it, but in the last several weeks it started turning yellow. All the other plants, ( in the ground in there ) look lush.

I'm open to advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-97.JPG (124.0 KB, 116 views)
Old June 23, 2014   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

It looks like it needs to eat. Fertilize it with a fertilizer with and n-p-k ratio for vegetable plants. Fish emulsion is next to nothing for food. The poor thing appears to be starving to death. check for spider mites, too, but I don't think that is the problem is. I think it just needs to be fertilized.
Old June 23, 2014   #3
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
It looks like it needs to eat. Fertilize it with a fertilizer with and n-p-k ratio for vegetable plants. Fish emulsion is next to nothing for food. The poor thing appears to be starving to death. check for spider mites, too, but I don't think that is the problem is. I think it just needs to be fertilized.
Do you know of a good choice for me to try? I have some dry plant food for veggies?
Old June 23, 2014   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Plant looks seriously stressed but I'm not convinced it has to do with the fish emulsion. What's the NPK of the fish emulsion and brand? How much per gallon are you mixing?
You might try easing it out of the pots and take a look at the condition of the roots.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Gartenperle aka garden pearl is a determinate tomato. It might just be done it's duty. You can try to revive it with a good dose of the blue stuff but it may have just lived it's life and produced all it plans to produce. The remaining tomatoes will ripen even as the plant continues to dry up or you can pick them and let them ripen in a bowl. your choice.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2014   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have no real preference for brands. I buy a commercial fertilizer, but you can just put expert or miracle grow or osmocote or a dry granular...what ever you have or can get. I am not organic...I have an injector and organics can't go through it, so I use all commercial fertilizer in the field. I have had tomatoes look like that that weren't getting fertilized because they were in baskets and not really close to the fertilizer solution when I remembered to water it. A good dose of regular fertilizer should help.