Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 15, 2015   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default longevity of seeds

guick question here :I have seeds that I bought that are 4-5 years old, what problems would I face trying to grow these? hard to get them to germinate? if they do germinate will the plants have problems? just wondering because I read somewhere where they said not to try after a couple of years. never really explained why. thanks for input tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No problems at all.

All hog wash.
4 and 5 year old seeds are like new.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Agree with Worth. This year several of the varieties I grew were from 8 year old seed. The 3 pound and 3 ounce Belmonte (we named it the "Belmonster") was from seed that was at least 6 years old.

Like Worth said. "Hog Wash". Must have been someone who is selling seeds and is totally unscrupulous in their methods.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I got 2007 Solar Fire seeds from TV and they all germinated fine.

You could always soak them in water/Foliage Pro or Miracle Grow first and then sow.

---
BTW - Not tomatoes - but I found Ferry Morse Basil Seeds from 1991 and just threw them in the raised bed and they grew.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #5
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
guick question here :I have seeds that I bought that are 4-5 years old, what problems would I face trying to grow these? hard to get them to germinate? if they do germinate will the plants have problems? just wondering because I read somewhere where they said not to try after a couple of years. never really explained why. thanks for input tom

Additional points:

1) Tomato (and apparently basil) seeds are relatively long lived, other types of seeds may have shorter viability periods.

2) Tomato seeds you've bought -- marked, perhaps 'packed for 2011' -- were not necessarily grown in 2010. Often they will have been, but even a reputable seller may have just done germination tests on older seeds to see that they should grow well in the 'packed for' year -- and with some sellers, they may just be older, unchecked seed that the seller thinks will probably grow.

3) Conditions to which the seeds have been subjected can vary viability a lot -- conditions at the seller's premises, transport conditions, and how you've had them stored. Just as an example, a couple years ago I got some seeds grown by A the previous year, who had also sent some of the same seeds to B. Both A and B sent seeds to me via USPS. Both were packaged similarly, sent at the same time, arrived here the same day, and were treated the same by me, but the seeds from B grew normally and none of the seeds from A would even germinate -- makes it pretty likely that something in the post office path from A to me at that particular time was damaging to seeds.

But most of the time, with just ordinary care, most tomato seeds will remain viable for quite a few years.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #6
encore
Tomatovillian™

so then as long as it germinates, it should be a good healthy plant so to speak? old seeds wouldn't cause plants to grow unhealthy ? any more than might happen naturally?
Old August 15, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
so then as long as it germinates, it should be a good healthy plant so to speak? old seeds wouldn't cause plants to grow unhealthy ? any more than might happen naturally?
Correct.

Worth
Old August 15, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Alston's Everlasting today - Seeds saved in 2003
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0095.JPG (69.9 KB, 130 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #9
encore
Tomatovillian™

looking good!
Old August 15, 2015   #10
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Look at Cuarentena's history. Thought extinct until seed from 1950's was found inside a gourd. All known tricks used and a few germinated.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #11
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

I grew some Long Scarlet Cincinnati radishes from 15 year old seed and they germinated fine and the seed wasn't kept in a freezer just a mason jar. I know it isn't tomato seed but it just goes to show that seeds can be good for longer that one might think.

Last edited by silverseed; August 15, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #12
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I went to a garden talk on onions yesterday. If you look up the longevity of onion seed, usually it says onion seed has the lowest longevity -- about 1 year. Well, this backyard gardener said she stores her onion seed in ziplock plastic bags in a refrigerator or freezer, and they are still viable after 10 years!! Of course, she also said that if she knows the seeds are older, she might double-sow (anticipating lower germination). She also said she has never bought new seed for leeks -- still using her original packet of seed!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I went to a couple of Garden Talks some time ago.
They were so contrary to what I do and what most all of us do here and believe I was biting my tongue and had to leave.
I wanted to speak up so bad and put the guy on the spot.

Worth
Old August 16, 2015   #14
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I have read that tomato seed has a half-life of 100 years. I believe that from my experiences with hand me down varieties over the years. I sowed seed this year from a variety I saved seed from in '89, out of 60 seed sown 58 germinated.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I have read that tomato seed has a half-life of 100 years. I believe that from my experiences with hand me down varieties over the years. I sowed seed this year from a variety I saved seed from in '89, out of 60 seed sown 58 germinated.
Sorry but there is no 1/2 life for tomato seed.

The oldest tomato seeds that were ever germinated and documented, which is important, were 50 years old and that happened when the precursor to the USDA station in Ames, IA opened and the Cheyenne, WY place had to send all their seeds to Ames, IA where germination testing was done.

And the seeds in Cheyenne were stored in regular filing cabinets at ambient temps. Nothing special,

The oldest tomato seed I ever was able to wake up were seeds of September Dawn which were 22 yo, but then I had to use special methods to wake up seed even younger than that since seeds of heart varieties, for instance, do not have the same longevity as non hearts do.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn