Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old February 10, 2012   #1
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Default straw and blight?

I've used straw around the base of my tomato plants the last 3 years and it has worked well for weeds and keeping moisture under the straw, but I have also noticed that the last 3 years I've had a bad problems with blight which I had not had before. Could the soil under the straw be a breeding ground for fungus? I had heard that mulch helps with 'mud' splattering on the bottom of the plants during hard rain which would help against fungus/blight... confused...

Thanks for your input.
Old February 11, 2012   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I use straw for a mulch and always put layers of newsprint directly on the soil then layer the straw on top of that. I have been an advocate of this method for several years. For me blight has not been an issue and seems to be less than when not having a mulch layer. I do notice fungal growth on the straw, but I have heard/read that this type fungus is not the same as what causes problem tomato diseases. I am sure there will be more comments.
Old February 11, 2012   #3
pacmanJohn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info. Hope you're right.
Old February 11, 2012   #4
WillysWoodPile

A very interesting thread. I look forward to learning more as I use straw also, and at $3.00 a bale [and this is the cheapest] it adds up to quite a bit over a 200' x 100' area. Especially if you want it thick enough to prevent weeds. I'm definitely going to use the newspaper method too.