Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 10, 2016   #1
FoxMulder
Tomatovillian™

Default Concerned Seedlings

Seedlings are almost 3 weeks old. I'm concerned about the leaves twisting upward, as well as the purple color on the underside of the leaves.

I have not added any fertilizer or nutrients. I water every 3 days. I keep the grow light on about 12 hrs/day. Temperature is around 68 F.

I have been searching the web for similar symptoms, however I have not been able to find anything that looks like my situation. Any information or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160310_085039.jpg (352.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg 20160310_085104.jpg (273.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg 20160310_085122.jpg (179.2 KB, 140 views)
FoxMulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #2
NuttyPistons
Tomatovillian™

While I am by no means an expert, I'd say your plants look just fine. The purple underside is perfectly normal. I wouldn't be too concerned with the leaves curling upward, perhaps your lights could be closer. I usually try to get the bulbs within about an inch of the leaves. What kind of medium are you using? Straight peat?
NuttyPistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

You don't need any nutrients, they don't have true leaves yet. Did they take a long time to sprout? I'd want more at 3 weeks. You say they got light, 68 for an avg temp is a lot colder than I keep'em. I keep temps in the high 70's for toms and peppers sprouts till I have good leaf formation.

Maybe others will add.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree with Ricky_Shaw. I start seeds on two shelves in our house. One shelf is at 4' tall and other is at 5' tall. The taller shelf always germinates faster. It's warmer at 5' than at 4'.

75-85F works well for me.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

It's solid testament to whatever that medium is, it's capability to stave off damping. For the process to have taken this long, in those temps, to not have some damping is remarkable to me.

edit to add: I think they're savable, totally. I'd leave the lights on 24/7 for the time being, and get the temps up.

Last edited by Ricky Shaw; March 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: actionable advice
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #6
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I think you may have phosphorus deficiency.
http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge...tables/tomato/
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #7
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I think you may have phosphorus deficiency.
http://www.haifa-group.com/knowledge...tables/tomato/
I agree with Mark and I would increase the temps until you get some true leaves. I also wonder what variety they are. Some of the antho types do have rather purple stems and underside at the seedling stages.
Old March 11, 2016   #8
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

They are fine. Once you transplant them into nutrient rich soil they will be just fine. Since you started them in peat plugs you can pot them up right now if you want. Thats what i start seed in and they work great
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

they are OK, just chilly.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I agree with those who say they are cold, cold seedlings get purpleish leaves which they grow out of. I would think phosphorous deficiency if they were more advanced, but at this stage the cotyledons have all the food they need until they grow a first true leaf and the start of the second ones. They are curling up also due to the temperature.
If you put them closer to your grow light that might give them light and a bit more heat too.
Do you have a seedling heat mat?
They will be perfect once transplanted, nothing too awful going on there.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #11
FoxMulder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyPistons View Post
While I am by no means an expert, I'd say your plants look just fine. The purple underside is perfectly normal. I wouldn't be too concerned with the leaves curling upward, perhaps your lights could be closer. I usually try to get the bulbs within about an inch of the leaves. What kind of medium are you using? Straight peat?
I'm using General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter plugs. I've never used them before. I've noticed these plugs retain a lot of moisture.

Thanks
Old March 12, 2016   #12
FoxMulder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
You don't need any nutrients, they don't have true leaves yet. Did they take a long time to sprout? I'd want more at 3 weeks. You say they got light, 68 for an avg temp is a lot colder than I keep'em. I keep temps in the high 70's for toms and peppers sprouts till I have good leaf formation.

Maybe others will add.
It took 7 days for most of the seeds to sprout. A few of the seeds to 10 days.

Thanks
Old March 12, 2016   #13
FoxMulder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I agree with Mark and I would increase the temps until you get some true leaves. I also wonder what variety they are. Some of the antho types do have rather purple stems and underside at the seedling stages.
These seeds are from Seed Savers Exchange and they are called Gold Medal or as they were originally introduced, Ruby Gold.

Thanks
Old March 12, 2016   #14
FoxMulder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I agree with those who say they are cold, cold seedlings get purpleish leaves which they grow out of. I would think phosphorous deficiency if they were more advanced, but at this stage the cotyledons have all the food they need until they grow a first true leaf and the start of the second ones. They are curling up also due to the temperature.
If you put them closer to your grow light that might give them light and a bit more heat too.
Do you have a seedling heat mat?
They will be perfect once transplanted, nothing too awful going on there.
I don't have a heat mat. I have considered buying one, though.

Thanks
Old March 12, 2016   #15
FoxMulder
Tomatovillian™

I'll see what I can do about raising the temperature.

Thanks everyone for your comments and support.