Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 6, 2007   #1
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Default Cukes in pots..anybody had success?

I am thinking of growing cucumbers (a small pickling variety) in large (15 gallon) pots. I thought maybe I would put two or three plants in each pot, and maybe put a tomato cage in to hold the vines. Has anyone done this successfully?

Also, should I start the seeds indoors? The seed pack only mentions sowing directly outdoors.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2007   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic...highlight=diva

See the thread on cukes in a grow bag.
Old February 6, 2007   #3
decius
Tomatovillian™

Go for it. I have successfully grown cukes in pots for a number of years. For a long time I only grew bush cucumbers, as that is what is recommended for pot culture. But bush cukes fizzle out too fast; here in NC my cukes always succumb to downy mildew, so I want as much production as possible before that happens. So I tried vining cucumbers; I used one of the commercial conical tomato cages with additional 5' stakes inside of that for the vines to grow on.

In a 15 gal pot I would put two plants. I've never had cucumber roots filling the entire pot. I do hand fertilize the early flowers until the ants find them. I do direct sow, which sometimes means I have to cover the young plants if we get a cold snap - cucumbers don't like the cold.

HTH
Elizabeth
decius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I think they'll do fine in a pot if you're willing to water them. I say that because without water during hot spells, cukes can become pretty bitter tasting. They also get those little hollow spots around the seeds without enough water. But in general, you can plant them close together, about 8 inches apart I'd say. They love to climb so give them some support. As Elizabeth said, skip the bush types if you want cukes all season. It's like a determinate tomato, you can only pick for a few weeks that way. I think you should do it Jenn, it's got to be better than the wax coated ones at the store, right?
Old February 7, 2007   #5
honu
Tomatovillian™

Here's info from our Coop Extension on growing cukes in a trash can:
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HG-44.pdf
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2007   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

That is a very cool thing to do... I am saving that link and forwarding it to someone. Thank you!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2007   #7
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm going to go for it, I already have the seeds (indeterminate) and the containers.

Michelle, you're right....anything is better than those waxy nasty cukes in the grocery store. I LOVE fresh cucumbers and have been known to make a whole lunch of tiny fresh cucumbers and sweet corn. Ahh, summer.....hurry up!!!!!!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2007   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I have grown tendergreen, diva, poona kheera along with another burpless I cant remember and a bush variety. all did well for me and I agree that the bush type fizzle out too quickly. I plan to grow some in containers and some in the ground this year.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote