Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 16, 2007   #1
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Default Leeks!

This is my first time growing leeks from seed. I've grown bunching onions from seed and I've grown leeks from the chopped-off root end of store-bought leeks, but this will be a new experience.

Anyone have any tips? Any special leek-growing dance I should do?
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2007   #2
Earl
Tomatovillian™

They take a looooooooooong time to mature from seed, at least for me they do. I start them mid-winter, then transplant singles into cell packs. When I plant I use a bulb planter and dig a hole about 6 inches deep, drop in the plant, then flick enough dirt to cover roots about and inch or two. Then I mulch. The top part of the hole will fill-in as time passes and the leek grows, giving you the white stem.
Old October 16, 2007   #3
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

What leek did you grow from seed, Earl? I started Kilima which is supposed to be an "early" leek (I think a summer/fall leek, but I figure our winters are pretty mild) but I also have a couple heirloom leeks I want to start soon.
Old October 16, 2007   #4
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

"I've grown bunching onions from seed and I've grown leeks from the chopped-off root end of store-bought leeks"

How well did the leeks grow?

I wonder, if I could do the same with Scallions/green onions?

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2007   #5
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How well did the leeks grow?
Very well.

I bought some leeks just before last Thanksgiving and planted about 1" inch pieces of the root end 3 or 4 inches deep in the ground. I hilled them a bit when they got about 8 inches above the soil. By Christmas, I had slender but very useable leeks. If I'd waited till spring they probably would have been thicker.
Quote:
I wonder, if I could do the same with Scallions/green onions?
I do this all the time. Every time I pick some onions from the garden, I return the bottom inch or so to the soil.
Old October 17, 2007   #6
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Good idea, I would never have thought of that.

Thanks,

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2007   #7
johno
Tomatovillian™

I forget the variety, but I sowed some leek seeds (from Baker Creek) last fall and they are "eatin' size" now.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2007   #8
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

From seed--what Earl said. Start them in a trench and fill in as the leeks grow. The variety I've grown in Large American Flag. I started the seed indoors the first week in February. I had one plant from the 2004 season that I didn't harvest and it survived the winter and started growing again. I let it flower, left it in over the winter of 2005, then moved it over by the compost pile in 2006, left it over the winter, and it came back strong again this year. Any plant with that kind of survival instinct deserves to live.

Leeks are hardy, slow to grow, can take the cold, and should have good soil and not too much competition from weeds. If you've got clay like I do, amend your planting trench with something with some give (some compost or loamy soil) so the growing leeks don't knock up against a cement wall as they mature.

Vichys-soise is wonderful.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2007   #9
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I think they were American Flag. I haven't looked to see how they're doing in weeks. Guess I need to check on them. Last year they did really great.
Old October 24, 2007   #10
orflo
Tomatovillian™

Over the years I've grown lots of varieties, Blauwgroene Winter, Bleu de Solaize,Carentan, St.Victor,...These are mostly winter-hardy leeks, there are some autumn leeks, even a yellow one. I sow the seeds from end of February, mid-March in a tray in the greenhouse and transplant them outside from half April, into holes about 5-6 inches deep. They want a good deal of manure and humidity throughout the season, harvest starts in November and lasts to the end of March or later, depending on the weather. I also have a n old variety of leek, that one is perennial ('oerprei' is the Flemish name, it is quite rare), I eat it fromMarch to the beginning of May, it's sweet and tender and it forms 'little children', as garlic does. Sometimes it forms seeds, which is very uncommon for this variety of leek (infact there are many stains within this variety). In August the plants die and the bulbs can be eaten or planted out. It is very simular to 'Perlzwiebel' but seems to be an other variety though .
Seed saving from 'common' leek is easy, just take the 15 or more best leeks, overwinter them and let them flower and form seeds, just take care different varieties don't cross with each other (and they do not cros with onions or chives or...)
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2007   #11
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

A yellow leek! That sounds interesting. Good to hear they like humidity, as I have plenty of that, although I also have lots of heat.
Old October 24, 2007   #12
orflo
Tomatovillian™

The name is 'Jaune de Poitou', yellow-green leaves, I do not know if it's available in the US, it's an old French variety,
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2007   #13
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I've never heard of a yellow leek either and when I googled it, this place was the only one in the U.S. that I found that carried it. I ordered some for next spring, but haven't tried this place before. https://www.artisticgardens.com/catalog/
8)
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2010   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone tried planting their leeks in a 6" trench, backfilling the usual couple of inches, then gradually fill the trench with something other than soil - for instance straw or ?vermiculite or ?anything else. Just thought I'd experiment and try to eliminate the gritty bits. Has anyone tried planting less deeply and using some type of collar for blanching, like celery?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2010   #15
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I plant mine by poking the shovel handle down deep in the ground and drop the leek down into it,need to use three month old plants using this system though.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote