Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2016   #1
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default Pear tomatoes

Has anyone tried Fargo Yellow Pear or Beam's Yellow Pear-Tomato? If so what are the differences and what are they like?

Also what about Red Fig?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
Has anyone tried Fargo Yellow Pear or Beam's Yellow Pear-Tomato? If so what are the differences and what are they like?

Also what about Red Fig?
Red Fig is a figment of WWW's imagination.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_Fig

All it is is just a longnecked typical Red Pear.WWW is well known for misrepresenting many varieties, unfortunately.

I think it would help if you shared with us what size and color for a pear shaped variety you are looking for since there are hundreds of them/

I have grown Beam's Yellow Pear but it was so long ago that there was no lingering memory of it being anything special thatIwould have wanted to grow again.

I don't mean to be so negative about this but the small pears just don't resonate with me but If you wanted to grow some of the what are called piriform (pearshaped) much larger ones then that might be something to consider

Here's a list of pear shaped ones from Tania

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/C...:Pear_Tomatoes

Carolyn
Old January 15, 2016   #3
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

What's WWW?
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #4
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Oops, never mind. Shooda clicked before asking!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #5
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default My goodness, so many

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Red Fig is a figment of WWW's imagination.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_Fig

All it is is just a longnecked typical Red Pear.WWW is well known for misrepresenting many varieties, unfortunately.

I think it would help if you shared with us what size and color for a pear shaped variety you are looking for since there are hundreds of them/

I have grown Beam's Yellow Pear but it was so long ago that there was no lingering memory of it being anything special thatIwould have wanted to grow again.

I don't mean to be so negative about this but the small pears just don't resonate with me but If you wanted to grow some of the what are called piriform (pearshaped) much larger ones then that might be something to consider

I grew both red and yellow some years ago and didn't like either. I just thought from a description I had read, that one of these might be nice for making tomato preserves to put on toast. I do remember they are so prolific. And it is hard to find tomato jam.

Thanks for the help!!

Here's a list of pear shaped ones from Tania

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/C...:Pear_Tomatoes

Carolyn
Old January 15, 2016   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I've grown 3 in that list that i can recommend for flavor and production.

Medovaya Kaplya is a small yellow pear.

Wine Jug is a saladette size fat pear shape, almost teardrop shape, purple/black.

Goldman's Italian American is a large red, also more of a fat pear shape, sometimes with pleating.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I know some don't seem to care for some pear shaped tomatoes (I am not one of those). Medovaya Kaplya is an absolute grow every year for me. Chang Li is very good. Those are my two yellow pear shaped tomatoes so far.

I had not heard of Fargo and Beam's until today. I looked at this thread but couldn't respond until now. I see you are in Florida, and I am learning that yellow tomatoes do not do well in high humidity and lots of rain. I saw that happen in our garden in 2015. But I am just learning.

Medovaya Kaplya and Chang Li are both excellent varieties.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I keep wondering, is there a specific definition of what makes a variety a "pear?" I know a lot of them are pear-shaped, but some resemble oblong cherries. I really like Chang Li, too. It took me a while to see an occasional pear-shaped fruit; almost all of them are oval or oblong cherries. I don't know if weather or other conditions play a factor.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Cuneo giant pear is my favourite piriforme tomato. large dark red,meaty, few seeds, great flavour.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #10
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Actually I was looking for a small red pear that is very prolific and not too tall. I intended to make jam, chutnery and/or preserves
Old January 16, 2016   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oddly enough, we used to grow both the yellow little pear ones and the little red ones- both were seeming to have a bit more "neck" than some I see now- and the flavor was good both here and in California. We often used them in salads and especially for jams and tomato helly, also sort of a relish my Mother would put up ( this was so long ago, we poured thick lids of hot wax to seal them).

Ours would get tall, especially in the n. California garden, until we would chop off the tops.

I know E & R carry a red, a yellow and a pink version, but wonder if a black one exists or could be bred into that pear shape and necked and small?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Oddly enough, we used to grow both the yellow little pear ones and the little red ones- both were seeming to have a bit more "neck" than some I see now- and the flavor was good both here and in California. We often used them in salads and especially for jams and tomato helly, also sort of a relish my Mother would put up ( this was so long ago, we poured thick lids of hot wax to seal them).

Ours would get tall, especially in the n. California garden, until we would chop off the tops.

I know E & R carry a red, a yellow and a pink version, but wonder if a black one exists or could be bred into that pear shape and necked and small?
Imp, do tell on the tomato Helly since I've never heard about that one.

And it still seems to me that when making jams or preserves or jellies,etc.,that the taste of the tomatoes used is very important,which is why I made the suggestions I did in a post above about hearts and meaty beefsteaks since there are darn few small ones that do have good taste.

Just me own wee opinion, take it or leave it.

Carolyn
Old January 16, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Carolyn
I can imagine what it tastes like
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #14
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Your "own wee opinion" carries a lot of weight. I'll forget about the pears and red fig based on your opinion alone. I've never grown a heart before. I intend to rectify that this spring.
Old January 17, 2016   #15
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

And it still seems to me that when making jams or preserves or jellies,etc.,that the taste of the tomatoes used is very important,which is why I made the suggestions I did in a post above about hearts and meaty beefsteaks since there are darn few small ones that do have good taste.

Just me own wee opinion, take it or leave it.

Carolyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I can imagine what it tastes like

Oh, pooky on you both! LOL, that was fat finger typing at it's best, <grin>, though I think Tomato Helly would be something like when we would not top the red pear tomato plants and they became a jungle!!

I'll be growing some of the red, pink and yellow little pear tomatoes to eat and maybe make jelly with, if the taste is as good as it used to be.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote