Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 14, 2009   #1
DennisM
Tomatovillian™

Default ALGOFLASH & TomatoTone Questions

Last year I used the new Tomato Tone formula 3-4-6 fertilizer in my EarthTainers and it seemed to work just fine. My stalks were extremely healthy but my tomatoes were on average late by 18-22 days. However, our weather was not good and many in my county never had their tomatoes ripen at all. I also believe that I did not do a good job hardening the transplants off. So, I would like to know what kind of results others have had with this or any other organic fertilizer used in the EarthTainers, Earth Boxes, or GrowBoxes?

Second question: Has anyone tried Algoflash or know anything about it? It has caught my eye at Totally Tomatoes?
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2009   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Another inorganic fertilizer with tomato on the label. I've tried it a few times and was not impressed. Ray Newstead who developed the "EarthTainer" has done some extensive testing and side by side comparisons of amendments and now is working with aggregate composition at this time. Check some of his previous posts for more info. A couple products that Ray and I have used that did make a difference was Mycorrhizae and Actinovate applied to the plants during plant out. Ami
Old November 14, 2009   #3
DennisM
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Another inorganic fertilizer with tomato on the label. I've tried it a few times and was not impressed. Ray Newstead who developed the "EarthTainer" has done some extensive testing and side by side comparisons of amendments and now is working with aggregate composition at this time. Check some of his previous posts for more info. A couple products that Ray and I have used that did make a difference was Mycorrhizae and Actinovate applied to the plants during plant out. Ami
Thanks. I will start searching for information regarding Actinovate and Mycorrhizae right away.

Dennis
Old November 14, 2009   #4
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Dennis, I use Tomato Tone in both containers and in ground plants. I use it on peppers and tomatoes, and I swear by the stuff. I won't use anything else on my peppers, it's great stuff.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2009   #5
DennisM
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
Dennis, I use Tomato Tone in both containers and in ground plants. I use it on peppers and tomatoes, and I swear by the stuff. I won't use anything else on my peppers, it's great stuff.
Thank you. I did not do that last year, but I will try Tomato Tone on my peppers in 2010.
Old November 14, 2009   #6
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Now if we could only find a supplier for Tomaten Dunger in the US we be happy campers in the spring.

geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2009   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If there was any way I could get TD to you guys I would. Ami
Old November 14, 2009   #8
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Now if we could only find a supplier for Tomaten Dunger in the US we be happy campers in the spring.
Why, what's in it? What's the NPK?
Old November 14, 2009   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

http://www.neudorff.de/produkte/prod...enduenger.html

Ami
Old November 14, 2009   #10
clara
Tomatovillian™

I've always used Algoflash Tomato since I grow tomatoes and I was very pleased . But following Ami's advice, next year I will use Neudorff Tomatendünger (and Mycorrhizae and Actinovate, of course). By the way, there are other sorts of Algoflash (for lemon trees, for Datura, for balcony flowers etc.) and they all did well for me. clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2009   #11
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Ok, it's not that different from Tomato-tone. A little more nitrogen and potassium, and it has mycorrhiza already added. It says it has microorganism, but it doesn't list them, at least not where I could find. You can argue that you like more nitrogen or potassium for your plants*, but I'm not getting that these are two vastly different products. Please note that I'm not saying Tomaten Dunger is a bad product, I'm saying I don't see where it's vastly different from Tomato-tone

Tomato-tone, btw, is organic.

* I don't. I especially like having less nitrogen for my peppers. In my experience, peppers are more sensitive to higher nitrogen than tomatoes
Old November 14, 2009   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
Blue,

Could you be more specific. Did you use "Old" Tomato-tone (4-7-10), or the "New" (3-4-6) version?

Personally, I've had excellent results with the "Old" formulation for years, but very disappointing results this past season with the "New" (watered-down) version. I'll not be replacing my remaining supply of Tomato-tone when what I have on hand runs out. I REALLY need to find a way to Import Tomaten Dunger, as the box Ami sent me has demonstrated (to me) to be the Tomato Fertilizer to beat!

Keep in mind, it is not simply the N-P-K ratio - -the "difference" in results depends on the additional Micros that are added to the formulation. "New" Tomato-tone seems to be missing many of those that were in the "Old" tomato-tone, at least as stated on the respective product's ingredients list.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2009   #13
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I've used both the new and the old. I see advantages to both, and I will continue with the new. I like that it is made with more natural ingredients and that it works with the soil instead of just adding nutrition on top. And I have a bumper crop of peppers. I had plants that topped 5 feet and are covered in peppers this year, so it's kinda scary to think what I might have had with something considered by you to get better results. If they'd gotten much bigger I would of needed a pith helmet and machete to harvest!