Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 2, 2010   #1
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

Default I was told not to harvest any fruit of plants during first year?

I went to a reputable nursery. While looking around at all the different fruit plants, this gentleman told me that if I chose to grow any fruits, that I should not "allow" my plant to produce fruit during the first season. My first question: Is this true? Second, is there a type of fruit (berries, etc) that I could plant this season and get product off of? I am only able to do container gardening on my apartment balcony and I live in Oklahoma (Zone 6B).
tulsanurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2010   #2
jsamaha
Tomatovillian™

Not "allowing" the plant to fruit supposedly diverts energy that would go into setting and producing fruit towards the health of the plant's root system and additional growth above the crown. As with most things, its a personal choice as to what you decide to do. Its not a bad idea as most fruiting shrubs, plants etc... usually don't produce a big crop the first year anyway. Raspberries can produce a decent crop sometimes the first year if you find plants with established roots, but they might be a bit challenging on a balcony. Sorry, no other suggestions.
jsamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2010   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

with strawberries, its true. the first year, they need to get their root system established, and promote vegetative growth. setting fruit will divert energy away from establishing a vigorous plant. brambles will produce a small amount the first year. what other kind of fruits are you considering?

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #4
tulsanurse1
Tomatovillian™

I bought 2 Quinalt Strawberry plants to transplant. The pot is filled with leaves so much that you really can't see the dirt. As far as what type of plant? I would be happy with almost any fruit. I live in Zone 6. I was thinking Blueberries or rasberries.
tulsanurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2010   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For blueberries, your best bet would be a dwarf highbush type such as Top Hat.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2010   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Since you're growing on a balcony, in I assume not a very large container, I wonder if you will be able to overwinter your strawberries. They won't have the same protection of being in the ground, even with just snow cover for insulation. I don't know how cold your winters get, but with your situation, I don't see any problem with providing good fertile soil for your berries, and growing any to eat from the first year, since it's possible there may not be a second year.

I have successfully overwintered large potted roses by moving the pots into an unheated garage for dormancy, so maybe that would work for your strawberries, if you have access to a garage with your apartment.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2010   #7
Heath
Tomatovillian™

Not sure of what to do.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote