Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 11, 2008   #1
natural
Tomatovillian™

Default Experiences with Organic Potting Mixes

Any recommendations for a good Organic Potting Mix that does not require supplemental fertilization?

I have just determined that my tried and true brand of "Organic" (meaning no chemical fertilizer charge) Potting Mix is not available this year. I have been using Fafard FOF20 for years with great success. I started and transplanted 6000 plants into 4 inch pots last year, and had beautiful plants.

Has anyone used any other brands of Organic Potting mix? I prefer no pine bark, just peat,vermiculite and perlite.

I have spoken with a few growers that have used Sungro and the newer Premier Organic Mix. The issues with these have been a marked magnesium deficiency in trying to take the plants to the 8-9 week stage, thus requiring supplemental fertilization. I would prefer not to have those challenges.

Thanks.
Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote