Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2009   #1
zinnia11
Tomatovillian™

Default I dont have the guts to become a farmer

This is my first time creating and growing a garden. I was so careful to do everything right and I nurtured all of my plants along the way, making sure they got everything that they needed.
Things were going beautifully. I had already harvested a few cukes, tomatoes and some other things. It all looked so perfect, perhaps too perfect.
And then the rains started. It rained HARD for a full week. We got at least 28 inches of rain and I watched my poor garden, helpless to do anything about it.
I finally got out to check on things really well yesterday. Since the rains started, hornworms managed to take advantage of the situation to latch on to a couple of my plants and there were holes in most of the leaves and disgusting telltale droppings on some.
The damage has been done and now, I just hope I can salvage what is left of my poor traumatized plants. Luckily we didn't have any flooding in the house. A lot of people did in our area here in central Fl.. It was just so frustrating to have cared for something so much and then have absolutely no control over what happened with the weather. I know I just dont have the guts to be a farmer. I cannot imagine what they go through each season.
zinnia11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I grew up in the city but was a "tom-boy" all my life. Hubby grew up on a Dairy farm and became a Golf Course Superentendant so he had the farming background and knew how weather could affect things.

He tends to be rather stoic about whatever the weather brings us. I tend to get upset and downright PO'd when I watch the radar showing much needed rain disapate before it gets to us.

Farming is a learning experience. You read trade mags a lot and go to conferences and try to incorporate what you learn to do what you can to avoid or minimize problems.

Too little rain is easier than too much. Too little you figure out some kind of irrigation if possible. Too much, you find higher ground, or fix drainage problems or build raised beds. On a small basis, pots are an option. Kind of hard on a "production scale tho.

Yah it's hard depending on the weather for your living.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #3
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I feel your pain;-) I was a full time farmer for 15 years. The last 2 back-to-back serious droughts got me out 10 years ago. But.... I miss it more than anything!!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote