Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Tomatoes That Keep Well

In many PMs I've read about how so many of want tomatoes that keep for a long time. I know of a few that do last a long time after picking them, and have read about others that lasts up to 9 months when saved right.

I've been growing mostly cherry tomatoes over the past 5 years because that is what my loved ones want. Next year, they will get a taste of a lot of larger tomatoes - along with some favorite cherries.

There is one cherry tomato that has really been a surprise to me on how long it has kept. I've seen it called by two different names, but it's the same tomato. Ambrosia Red or Red Ambrosia is sitting in front of me in an open air container 29 days after they were picked. They still taste good and are a little less firm, but have outlasted all the other cherry tomatoes picked at the same time. For me, I'll call it Ambrosia Red because alphabetically in my seed book - it keeps all the Ambrosia tomatoes together. Same with Bumblebees.

In the past 3 years, Porter has lasted months after picking, but with our overly wet May and early June - they were mealy. This year, they were a bust for us.

I don't like asking questions just for certain location gardeners, so for those who are just getting tomatoes, years past results are good too.

What tomatoes have a long shelf life for all of you? Do you do anything special to prolong the shelf life?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

29 days!?! Thats amazing Robert. I have had Homestead, Tommy Toe, Better Boy, and Big Beef keep a while, but nothing that long. I am looking forward to Porter, for sure now after reading this.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #3
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

There is a tomato called KEEPER that is slow to ripen and keeps forever. My neighbor grows it and I actually thought the taste was good when the did ripen. He gets seeds from Gurney's and he saves seeds so I don't know if it is OP. I'll ask him and I'm sure he some growing this year prolly F X a million grow outs if it is a hybrid! He even grows out supermarket tomatoes to great success!

Last edited by CamuMahubah; August 8, 2015 at 04:57 AM. Reason: added a word tee hee
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a tomato plant from a swap labelled "Kwang Tung." It was a medium, round, firm red tomato. It was my shelf life winner. It sat for at least a month in my hot kitchen, and still seemed fine. I wanted to save seeds from it, but I tasted a little bit of the fruit as I was doing so....and blech...I had to toss it. The flesh was mealy. I can't grow something I can't eat.

I wonder if shelf life is about having both a lower water content and a lower sugar content.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2015   #5
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is a older thread with some additional info on long keeping varieties:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19741
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #6
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Spanish "de colgar" tomatoes. Hundreds of varieties to choose from. 5 months easily at room temperature. Among them, you have some impressive tasting ones.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

De Colgar just entered my tomato wish list. The name means "to hang up" or "hanging" looks good, more sweet than acidic... https://www.google.com/search?q=de+c...FQWsgAodTBEJtw

My children and grandchildren will like the Batman emblem looking inside
Old August 9, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not about long keeping tomatoes but some advice.
If a person can, the best time of the day to taste a tomato is before coffee or anything, taste your tomatoes first thing in the morning.
Rinse with water after each tomato.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #9
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
De Colgar just entered my tomato wish list. The name means "to hang up" or "hanging" looks good, more sweet than acidic... https://www.google.com/search?q=de+c...FQWsgAodTBEJtw

My children and grandchildren will like the Batman emblem looking inside
All shapes, colors and just about any flavour possible. I believe these are the most diverse group among tomatoes.
Old August 9, 2015   #10
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I will mention the Grappoli d'Inverno. I am growing it this yea r- a later tomato, but now coming on strong with lots of fruit.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Grappoli_d%27Inverno
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Besides the variety I can think of few things to extend shelf .

1- I think tomato left on the vine in hot summer days ripen much quicker. I am sure of this as in September on my tomatoes seems to take for ever to get rip, because of cooler weather
So if you pick them at the slight hint of color break and bring them in and keep them at cooler temperature they should ripen in longer time.

2- Be careful while picking and avoid injury and and do not squeeze them.
3- Do not stack them at/after picking. Place on things like dish towel.
4- Do not wash them
JMO

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Grappoli D'Inverno is on my list. I found that one while looking at images. It looks like a good tomato.
Old August 9, 2015   #13
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Besides the variety I can think of few things to extend shelf .

1- I think tomato left on the vine in hot summer days ripen much quicker. I am sure of this as in September on my tomatoes seems to take for ever to get rip, because of cooler weather
So if you pick them at the slight hint of color break and bring them in and keep them at cooler temperature they should ripen in longer time.

2- Be careful while picking and avoid injury and and do not squeeze them.
3- Do not stack them at/after picking. Place on things like dish towel.
4- Do not wash them
JMO

Gardeneer
- Grow them on the dry side. The rule of thumb for "de colgar" tomatoes is to water less than half of normal tomatoes

- Pick at least 3 days after watering, on dry days. I cut all watering weeks in advance.

- Pick early. Cool nights, humid weather, high temperature fluctiations affect storage. Here in Spain, longest storage is with tomatoes picked mid July, very early August. Those picked after mid August will last less than those picked earlier.

- Keep at constant room temperature (about 15 ºC) if possible. Obviously, with no refrigeration they get much warmer in summer, and cooler in winter.