Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 25, 2012   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default trying to grow giant tomatoes in containers

Hey guys, I'm trying to grow a giant tomato, but space won't allow for me to grow it in my usual garden. Do you have any tips on growing giant tomatoes in containers? Are tomatoes in containers generally smaller than ones grown in the ground?

Thanks!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #2
brismith70
Tomatovillian™

Look at the instructions for the EarthTainer. It is a self-watering sub-irrigated container. I have grown some HUGE tomatoes in them. I highly recommend it for larger vegetables, too.

Brian
brismith70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #3
casserole
Tomatovillian™

use a large container ,doesn't need to be an eathtaner ,trim plant to keep only a few fruit,keep fertilized, pray to Tomato Gods
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2012   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Being in the PNW a large Open, bottom draining container Or a 10-15 gal Smart Pot should do fine. I don't think SWC's are a good choice in your climate. Use Myco's and Actinovate on plant out and feed your plant regularly with something like GE Floramato or BioBizz BioGrow depending whether you want to go the inorganic or organic route. Periodic applications of a fungicide is advised during plant growth. Ami
Old March 25, 2012   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

For years of trying to grow in the ground here in S Florida I went to container gardening.The soil was not good in my area,the bugs,the critters and the rain(sometimes up to 4-5 inches a day)moved me into my screened in pool enclosure.In the beginning used 2 gallon black containers,good results but found the rootballs filled in and escaping out of the drain holes too early and forcing me to water and fertilize too often(too much work).Graduated to 4 gallon containers and after the season when removing rootballs found that still had plenty of room for growth and was able to spread leftovers in lawn for the best lawn on the block.Plants top out for cherrys up yo 15 ft.vines and am able to get regular rounds to 8-10ft.Containers let you "push" the plants the way you want it to.More ferts, more water,more plant.You can control weeds ,bugs,and are transportable when needed.I can pull the plant out for attention or discard if nor preforming as I want.End of season rootball diagnosis was/is a key for me.You are able to contain ferts and water in the container otherwise in open ground you are just wasting time and money.Cleaning the containers(nuking)after and before each season has eliminated all the fungas and diseases I had encountered during my first couple of years.Keep your hands and gardening tools clean after each use helps in disease control.Have a nice season and good luck.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2012   #6
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

We have grown tomatoes in large containers for years but we have had no luck with the really large tomatoes like the beefsteaks.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote