Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 13, 2008   #1
Barnowl
Tomatovillian™

Default Potting up -- root ball position

I might be splitting hairs here, but I was wondering which method of potting up might be better. In the first diagram below, the root ball is set to the lowest point while still allowing a little bit of soil below the ball for the roots to stretch out into. The second diagram places the root ball in the centre of the new cup allowing roots to equally grow below and on the submerged stem.

I realize that you want to have the stem under the soil so that roots will grow, thereby maximizing the root system and the growth potential of the plant. But when is it placed too deep? Could you sink the root ball right down to the bottom to get even more stem under the soil (maybe topping up as the top leaves get past the rim of the cup?) or would the reduced space of soil under the root ball set the plant back. What’s the best balance point?

Jamie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 018.jpg (382.1 KB, 18 views)
Barnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I plant with the root ball as deep as possible while some leaves are still above the top of the pot. If that means the root ball is on the bottom of the pot, that's fine, as roots will grow out of the stem.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2008   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I'm with Feldon; I position the plant so the soil is "right up to its armpits", the lower leaves being the arms, no matter where the rootball ends up. Works for me.
Old March 13, 2008   #4
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

As deep as possible. If that means the root ball is on the bottom of the pot, so be it. During transplant to the ground I have that new pot filled up with fiberous roots.
Old March 13, 2008   #5
Barnowl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I was hoping you all would say that! I read somewhere about a method of potting up 3 times or so all in an effort to absolutely maximize the root system before planting in the garden. As long as you left just the top leaves after each transplant the seedling would then continue to grow just fine under lights, correct? As long as you also provide proper fertlizer, that is. Or is there a time in a seedlings life that flourescent lighting just doesn't cut it and it needs to get real sunshine as its staple...
Old March 13, 2008   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I potted up just once this year.

I think as soon as you have some warm days, I'd start gradually exposing your seedlings to sunlight if possible.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2008   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I transplant once and leave them under the lights until hardening off or planting outside time. I have transplanted one extra time when there are plants I know are going to someone else and I want to give them away in styro cups rather than my plastic pots.
Old March 13, 2008   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

As PaulF said, I plant up to the "armpits" and pot up only one time. And that time has come so it's on my "to do" list for this weekend. Thanks for reminding me to go get the pots from the shed.
Old March 15, 2008   #9
bbb123
Tomatovillian™

I planted mine up to the armpits I wish I read about the styro cups for the first batch they worked great. The dense plant method worked great to for the tomatoes I didn't go with 30 a section I only had about a dozen of each variety and ended up with 8-12 seedlings outa each. Filled the cups up with dirt poked finger as deep as I could grab roots of seedling and drive it home.
Old March 15, 2008   #10
Barnowl
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you're doing a great job there bbb123...
Old March 20, 2008   #11
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

mine go 'under the sun' as soon as possible whenever it is obvious it is going to be a sunny day (and I'm at home to counteract bad forcasts ;-) ). I have a 'temporary' greenhouse (transparant plate and some arches) on the south facing wall and even early in march my peppers got into 20°C with good sunlight. Beats every lightsource and cuts the electric bill for a couple of hours. Be sure not to forget them because it can chill very quickly when this early spring sun runs off.
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote