Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2012   #1
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Help identify this paste variety.

Any guess what it could be

Last season 2011, This stray tomato seedling came up in a 5 gallon pot that I had filled with partial reused soiless potting soil.. It was in my GH..I had planted some petite griss de renne melon seeds in it, When the tomato seedling came up, I planned on transplanting later..but never did.. The stray seedling ended up being a tall regular leaf, det. Mid season, long paste vareity with a nipple on end..It was a beautiful red paste with dusky purple streaked shoulders..meaty, few seeds, with a nice balanced sweet taste..

Trouble is I dont know what this paste variety could be.. The only pastes I grew from seed were Opalka, Jersey Devil, Romeo, Cows Tit, Lurleys Paste, Jean De Andy, Giannini, Sherrill, Wessel's Purple Pride,..

The only ones that produced for me was Sherrills, Jean De Andy, and WPP.. None of these look like the stray seedling.. I tried to google info for pictures on the other pastes but could not find any with the dusky purple streaked shoulders..

Any guess as to what it could be..? Thought someone who has grown lots of pastes before might be able to help identify it. Is it rare for pastes to have purple shoulders?

I did save a few seeds, and started planting ten days ago..The seeds are just pcking their heads up. Slow to germinate

Thanks for your help

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #2
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Don't know what It is
Ginny but if you have any seeds left ill grow it out. Could it be from something you grew in that soil in 2010?
Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #3
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Lurley, I thought of that also. I went over my grow list for 2010 and the only ones I grew that were true paste was Giant Sicilian Paste, and San Marzano (plants did not survive), and Wesssels Purple Pride.. (Amish Paste also, but not a true paste type).. None of these look like the paste tomato with the dusky purple streaks/shoulders, in the picture.. (and none were grown in the GH where the soil was reused, but that does not mean anything..)The tomatoes grew in clusters of five.

I have very few seeds, but would be happy to send you a few to grow out..
I started some different varieties of tomato seeds a couple weeks ago and these are slower to germinate, but they are finally poking their little heads up.
No guarantee what they are..

I think I still have your address, but send me a PM anyways..I had a few seeds of your Lurleys paste leftover from last year. I started them last week and a couple seedlings are popping up. My plants succummed to a heavy freeze last June..I cut them back but they did not have enough time to produce.. Hope I have better luck this year..

Ginny
Old February 19, 2012   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - It looks a lot like WPP to me. Albeit, I'm just going on memory - and it's hard to judge color from your picture.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #5
lurley
Tomatovillian™

When I saw the photo I thought it looked the most like sherril or Lurley's paste because of the size and the nippled end. But either would have to be crossed with something purple to get that coloring right? The only purple in my garden the same year as the paste I sent you seeds from was Cherokee purple so if it is a cross from my garden that is what it would be, Lurley's paste x cherokee purple. If it is a stray wessel's that was crossed or a stray sherril that was crossed then it's anybody's guess I'd say unless you know who you got the seeds from and can find out what they grew nearby at the same time.
Old February 19, 2012   #6
lurley
Tomatovillian™

My WPP were solid purple last year, kind of a dark lavender color all over.
Old February 19, 2012   #7
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

It's a beauty, and if you save seeds from it this summer, Ginny, please save me a few!
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2012   #8
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
My WPP were solid purple last year, kind of a dark lavender color all over.
Mine reached that "all purple" stage, too - eventually. They definitely at the green shoulders along the way. I picked most of mine at that stage and let them counter-ripen. Off the top of my head, I don't know of another paste variety which has that dusky purple coloration.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #9
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

fortyonenorth, Lurly, I thought it might be WPP if it wasnt for the fact that WPP always had green shoulders for me, and the rest of the fruit was more dusky purple in color. It reminds me of a cross of Indian Stripe and Wessel's Purple Pride, both of which I had grown in the GH and outside garden in 2010 and 2011..But this tomato is more red in color on the bottom half, than purple..

Whatever it is it sure is beautiful. Its a really good paste to. If it grew that well in a 5 gallon pot, I cant wait to see how well it will do in the ground.

Puttgirl, if I get it to grow and produce I will save seeds. And will be happy to share..remind me though at the end of season..

Ginny
Old February 20, 2012   #10
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Beatu-ti-ful maters you got there barefootgardener!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #11
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

cant help identify it but I too will add it sure looks great!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #12
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Ginny,
Before reading any of your text I studied the picture. Although I don't usually attempt to identify unknown tomatoes as there are so many thousands, I immediately thought they looked like wessels purple pride. It is difficult going by a picture, but I remember how "metallic" mine looked when I grew them a few years back.
Do yours have that "metallic" look to them? It does change as the ripen more.
Then too, how do they taste? Mine were pretty dry tasting even though it was a very wet year that I grew them.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #13
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, it looks like Wpp to me. Remember you shared seeds with me last year . They produced in clusters and productive.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #14
puttgirl
Tomatovillian™

Thank, Ginny!
I love my pastes
puttgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2012   #15
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by camochef View Post
Ginny,
Before reading any of your text I studied the picture. Although I don't usually attempt to identify unknown tomatoes as there are so many thousands, I immediately thought they looked like wessels purple pride. It is difficult going by a picture, but I remember how "metallic" mine looked when I grew them a few years back.
Do yours have that "metallic" look to them? It does change as the ripen more.
Then too, how do they taste? Mine were pretty dry tasting even though it was a very wet year that I grew them.
Enjoy!
Camo
Camo, I thought the plant resembled WPP at first, I grew WPP for the past three years, and the fruits always had green shoulders. Plus the fruit was a bit more dusky purple in color..(My WPP plants did not produce for the 2011 season) This plant with fruit, never went through the green shoulder stage, when ripe... And to my eyes they did not have that metallic look. When the fruit of this plant started ripening, The fruit of this plant had the beautiful dusky purple streaks at the top at the same time the rest stayed red. It just seems different from the WPP I grew previously.. More beautiful!! And the fruit were indeed on the dry side...
Wish I could find my pictures from a few years ago to compare...It could very well be WPP..And maybe the fruit just developed a little different in color this past season..

I am growing the saved seed out, and also growing my original WPP saved seed from 2010.. Will compare the two..Last season was a disaster in my larger tomato garden..The ones in GH did fab.

Thanks Cammo

Ginny