Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 3, 2008   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default Poppies from seed?

I'd like to plant some in my rock gardens but I've heard they're very finicky and hate to be transplanted.

What varieties do you grow? I saw some sky blue photos and really liked the color.
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2008   #2
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hello Mischka - there are so many lovely poppies, and most are quite easy from seed. Unfortunately, the 'sky blue ones' (Meconopsis betonicifolia, or sheldonii, or grandis - probably) are not the easiest. They prefer a bit of shade and are quite large, not best in a rock garden. But so beautiful! They are also monocarpic, or prone to dying after blooming...

The oriental poppies (perennial) are also fairly large, but the foliage dies down in midsummer leaving quite a gap - they are usually better in a border where something else can hide the empty space.

Cornfield or Shirley poppies, icelandic poppies or opium poppies are usually grown as annuals and are lovely, but may seed themselves around if they are happy, but are quite easy to remove/move.

There are some small poppies suitable for a rockgarden, ones I like are P. alpinum and P. atlanticum (the flower is the exact pale orange shade of a Creamsicle).
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2008   #3
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone grown breadseed poppies? That is poppies grown to produce breadseed? Any special additional information needed? I'll be growing in field (as a crop in other words), not in garden, so I'd like to preplant. And like Mischka said above, their finicky transplanting issues have to be addressed. Was thinking of potting up in thin newpaper 'pots' so that the entirety could be planted.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Jennifer, growing 3 Canuck-connected poppies
Old April 4, 2008   #4
johno
Tomatovillian™

I grow some breadseed poppies. I sow the seeds in winter in areas that have been raked level and rained on a few times, to lessen the chances of them being washed away in spring floods such as we have had lately. The seeds like to be out in the weather for a couple of months before they will sprout reliably (but cold stratification in the fridge ought to work.) I think I sowed them in Feb. or thereabouts, and they started sprouting a couple of weeks ago.
Old April 4, 2008   #5
salix
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer, it is my belief that the breadseed poppy (P. somniferum) is the infamous "opium poppy". It is easily grown by just preparing the bed and broadcasting the seed fairly early in the season. Just a word of warning, the police have been known to trash large beds of same...

and curious adolescents always want to try smoking the seedpods, lol!
Old April 4, 2008   #6
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is which is why I deliberately avoided using the o-word above. Luckily my plot is well off the road and the poppies are various coloured flowers (white, red, pink-purple by variety)which may add 'credibility'. Thanks for the advice re broadcasting seeds.

Jennifer
Old April 4, 2008   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I have to start mine in the fall, around Nov. I have been growing them for two years and love them! When you get a nice grouping, they are wonderful.
I got mine from a customer who has been growing them for years. HUGE red flowers, and a little taller than others I've seen. Saving seed is so easy too. Once the pods get nice and dry, just pop the top off and pour out the seeds. It's that easy.
No, mine never liked to be moved. Tried to start them in a moist area to get them going and tried to relocate them down around my mail box where it is very dry but to no avail. They're a liitle delicate I guess.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2008   #8
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Actually Meconopsis betonicifolia is not monocarpic (at least in my garden). I grow M. betonicifolia and M. lingholm and have had some of them for a number of years. It is true that they appreciate some shade and also love an acid soil.

I grow a small, short, perennial poppy called Papaver alboroseum in my rock garden. It is reliably winter-hardy here in Alaska. It has a small peach-colored blossom. The plant gets maybe 3" in diameter.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2008   #9
salix
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, thanks for posting that wonderful photo. It makes the heart skip a beat! Mine are not nearly so happy, of course am a couple of zones colder. I always pinched off the buds the first year of blooming in order to prevent the "monorcarpism" curse - hope it was not unnecessary. At least they survive if not thrive. Years ago I started Mec. horridula and M. napaulensis from seed. I allowed them to flower in the second year (pretty) but they never returned. My books state quite categorically that they are monocarpic, so I am blaming that for their subsequent demise and NOT the fact that they are supposedly zone 6-8 plants lol!
Old April 4, 2008   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

salix -- I've grown M. horridula here too and it indeed is monocarpic. M. punicea is another one that I love dearly ... also monocarpic. Very difficult to start from seed (for me, anyway). I last had one about 5 or 6 years ago.

(Sorry this isn't a very good picture. The flower is just opening in early Spring. It's one of my very first digital photos!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (80.3 KB, 20 views)
Old April 5, 2008   #11
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Actually Meconopsis betonicifolia is not monocarpic (at least in my garden). I grow M. betonicifolia and M. lingholm and have had some of them for a number of years. It is true that they appreciate some shade and also love an acid soil.

I grow a small, short, perennial poppy called Papaver alboroseum in my rock garden. It is reliably winter-hardy here in Alaska. It has a small peach-colored blossom. The plant gets maybe 3" in diameter.

Sherry
ok, THAT is the sky blue variety that I want to try here. What common variety name does it have?

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2008   #12
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

It's (probably) Meconopsis 'Lingholm' which is also referred to as Himalayan Poppy. The reason I say "probably" is that apparently there is great confusion over exactly which Meconopsis are which (as far as the blue ones), except for Meconopsis betonicifolia, which has rather distinctive leaves. When I bought the one pictured above, I think it was marked M. grandis, but the grower later acknowledged that was probably in error. Anyway, that particular one has been with me for at least 6 or 7 years. I'd be glad to send you some seeds...

Sherry
Old April 6, 2008   #13
Lilypon
Tomatovillian™

That gorgeous blue poppy loves cooler weather like that found in Alaska and some areas of British Columbia (like Tatiana's location I'm guessing). It fried ever so nicely :'( in my yard a couple of years ago. I've known one person, in Manitoba, that got it to bloom one summer (twas a cooler one).

Mirabel Osler
Lilypon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2009   #14
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

oh boy - I hope they are "ok" with transplanting: I've got 50 of them in cells!
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009   #15
zinnia11
Tomatovillian™

I would love to try growing poppies here in central Florida. Is it possible or would I be wasting my time? Those blue ones are so pretty! I have always wanted to grow a field of red poppies.
zinnia11 is offline   Reply With Quote