Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 13, 2012   #1
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Default When are you Planting?

I started seeds Christmas week and now have them ready for the garden about 12" high but a bit too early.
I plan on putting about 25 in the ground March 1st so I'll have maters to eat before May but a lot of my plants Im having to transplant up again to 1lb coffee cans cause they are getting so big...
anyone else close to getting some plants in the ground?

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #2
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Chuck,
I am in the same predicament. I started 3 trays of 12 plants between December 26 and Jan 7. I have them in 20 oz cups and they are ready to go in containers now. But I am not sure about this weather. I guess I can plant the ones that are going in 5 gal pails and the 5 gal grow bags this week end and may be some in the 10 gal self watering containers. I really want some BLTs in late April.

MikeInCypress
Old February 14, 2012   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I wish I was in that predicament. My first planting was wiped out by damping off as was over half my second planting. If I had some ready now I would at least set out a few now and see if they might luck out with the weather and hold the rest back for a couple of weeks. As it is I am just now potting up some seedlings this week so I probably won't have anything ready for at least 3 or 4 more weeks.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #4
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

I started mine a week ago, which is way early for zone 6. I plan on using wall o water to get them out as early as I can. You are lucky to be so close to ready.
Brian
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I started seeds on 30 December here in Atlanta, now they are brushing the lights a good 7 inches above the pots. Perhaps I started too early.

As soon as we get into a warm period in March, these babies are going into the ground.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #6
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I started seeds on 30 December here in Atlanta, now they are brushing the lights a good 7 inches above the pots. Perhaps I started too early.

As soon as we get into a warm period in March, these babies are going into the ground.
yep I do it every year get so anxious for a home grown mater I cant stand it.
I didnt grow any maters last year due to the wind in the spring and then the drought in the summer so nowI am really having withdrawals. bought some the othr day that were grown in a green house and they still not like them being grown in the grown in MY patch!
HA!

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2012   #7
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

With an average last frost between March 7 - 15, (and 40 degree night time lows this week) the 2nd Saturday in March is my target date, but could plant a few of these a week earlier, just need some warmer temps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1468.jpg (267.2 KB, 66 views)
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #8
Defiant20
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
With an average last frost between March 7 - 15, (and 40 degree night time lows this week) the 2nd Saturday in March is my target date, but could plant a few of these a week earlier, just need some warmer temps
What are those bags you have the tomatoes in in the greenhouse picture? Do you know where you can get them.
Brian
Defiant20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #9
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Those are burlap, a first time experiment in air pruning roots, for winter months waiting to plant out. They hold about a gallon and may be a disaster in the making (they now have some dark organic looking spots on them) far to early to recommend them.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #10
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

If nothing screws me up on putting up my low tunnels as soon as the ground thaws I'm going to try to plant out tomatoes a month before normal, about the third week of April. Trying desperately to hold off starting tomatoes for two more weeks, have most of my peppers started and I am starting onions/leeks/shallots/broccoli and cauliflower this week.

I was in CA last weekend and one of the customers I was meeting with told me he already had spring crops in his garden, while we finally started getting winter here...
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #11
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Mark, we only started getting winter here recently too! Dang I was really HOPING we could just slide into Spring without mother nature noticing, lol....oh well. I typically start tomatoes last week in March here, this year I'm going to try a few weeks earlier. I've already started a few earlies just to keep my gardening bug at bay.
Old February 16, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I am going in on the Ides of March in Atlanta. Average highs for Atlanta in March are 65, average lows are 44. We can get the late cold snap, but I figure I can protect them for a night or two.

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; February 17, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2012   #13
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

I planted First Prize, Better Boy, Big Beef, Sweet Million Cherry, Fletcher, Better Bush, and Lemon Boy today. All nematode resistant hybrids because I have an RKN problem.
Old February 16, 2012   #14
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I planted out a few last year the first week of March and then the rest about a week later. Although I had to protect them a few times, the early planting time paid off (until the summer from hell kicked in in May! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote