Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 27, 2012   #1
Orang3
Tomatovillian™

Default It looks pretty bad

Looks like my Sungold and Brandywine have TSWV. There hasn't been any rain for blight. It sprayed with gardensafe 3 in 1 fungicide when symptoms appeared. When things didn't improved i tried red's bleach solution. Now it seems to be spreading quite fast. What a bummer.

Suggestion? Some say to pull the plants immediately while some say it doesn't really spread to nearby plants. I'm inclined to just let it grow and see if I can get out of them. The brandywine still has small fruits but the Sungolds have many blushing trusses.

Also when pulling plants, do you just remove everything above the ground or dig up the root system too?

Sigh... these were my biggest and tallest plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT4155.jpg (245.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg PICT4156.jpg (186.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg PICT4157.jpg (198.0 KB, 133 views)

Last edited by Orang3; June 27, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Orang3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #2
Hastings
Tomatovillian™

What is "TSWV"?
Old June 28, 2012   #3
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. It is an RNA virus carried by thrips which has spread rapidly across the US. It is thought to have originated in Australia. There is no practical defense. You have to pull the plants. Sorry to hear that Orang. Here we battle curly top virus spread by leafhoppers which blow in from Arizona. Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #4
robin32381
Tomatovillian™

goodwin,do you pull the plants with curly top virus?
robin32381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #5
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I pull them. The fruit loses flavor and color and the virus will be spread from plant to plant.
I also spray with a light horticultural oil to knock down the leafhoppers, but I'm not sure if that does any good. Row covers would help, but it's not like I can cover 300 plants! Also I don't grow beets as a precaution. Are you seeing something similar to curly top back there?
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #6
robin32381
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant in a container that looks terrible,I thought I would leave it and see what happens.Two days ago,I noticed 1 plant in my garden that looks to have curly top.It's strange though,the one in the garden looks healthy other than the curled branches,It's green and has start to set fruit.The one I have in a container has leaves which are beginning to look purple.The leaves are very tough and the plant looks horrible. I also caught my neighbor early yesterday morning spraying some weeds and now I am thinking that might be the issue.I did pull the plant in the garden,but am worried about my other plants.
robin32381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2012   #7
Orang3
Tomatovillian™

I just couldn't get myself to pull the plants. Still getting some healthy new growth on top, but the bottom looks pretty miserable. Leaves are toast, but the fruit still looks fine. Just gonna wait and see.
Old July 3, 2012   #8
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

I thought sulfur works for TSWV?

What do you mean no rain? When did you plant out? We had a miserable may gray and early june gloom. I planted out in march and got a few rains here in San Diego= though I get alot of marine effects.

Looks like a over head cover of some sort in one of the pics? or is that siding (house)?

My Black krim looks like it has TSWV, but got powdery mildew and spread real quick along with some cukes and volunteer pumpkins.

At this point I'm just nursing the plants just get the fruits, and its time to pull.

Last edited by Tonio; July 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2012   #9
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Orang3,

Google "Septoria Leaf Spot" and see what you think. If the new growth looks healthy, it doesn't sound like a virus. Good luck!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #10
Orang3
Tomatovillian™

Tonio- I planted at the end of may and there hasn't been any rainfall at all. What I mean to say is that the leaves were never wet.
]
Heritage- I don't think it is Septoria Leaf Spot. The leaves don't have those discrete spot patterns. I'll try to get a picture update tomorrow.