Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2016   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone grow out Captain Lucky regular leaf??

I've done a search here but could only find a posting from 2011-2013 titled Who's the Real Captain Lucky? but no one ever mentioned growing out the regular leaf. The person Tam gave the one RL to was not able to grow it out.
I now have one PL, and 2 RL and wondered how the taste was? Any difference in productivity?
Thanks.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown something from the seeds taken out of store bought tomato, that is either Captain Lucky or Black Pineapple ( aka Ananas Noire). You can see the picture in my avatar.
It is not a workhorse but the fruits were tasty, comparing to most black tomatoes .

Gardeneer

Last edited by Gardeneer; February 16, 2016 at 02:46 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Captain Lucky Regular Leaf is known as First Mate. Steve seems to like it better than Captain Lucky.

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

BTW,

Steve is one of the best, when it comes to vendors who are long on truthiness and short on hype.
Old February 15, 2016   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Here is a picture of my CL/AN, uncut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AN-record.jpg (53.0 KB, 168 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #6
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Fred, I guess this means if I grow it out and save seeds, I call it First Mate. I will definitely grow them then, if they are one and the same in taste or even similar.
Old February 15, 2016   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Peebee,

Where did you get your CL RL?

First Mate was released by Millard Murdock, who also released CL. It is my understanding, though, that others have been sharing First Mate for awhile.

If your CL RL came from somewhere else, it is possible that it is the result of some type of cross.
Old February 15, 2016   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Just because you plant seeds received as "Capt. Lucky" and which sprouted with some regular leaf and some potato leaf does not mean the PLs are Capt. Lucky and the RLs are First Mate.

More likely it's as Fred said ... possibly a cross pollination.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #9
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Well, I got the seeds a few years ago from a long-standing member here if I recall correctly, and was told at that time that CL was not exactly stable, so if there were any RLs, to cull them out. I did get some PL & RL at my first sowing, and did what I was told ever since with RLs. But curiosity got the best of me and I thought I'd see if anyone grew them.
So I'm a little confused here; in that posting 2011, Tam mentions getting both RL & PL. Does this mean she also got cross-pollinated seeds? What if she got them from the same person I did? Did M. Murdock release First Mate after CL, meaning that possibly the seeds of very early CL are out there (like mine & Tam's), that were still producing RL & PL?
Old February 16, 2016   #10
travis
Tomatovillian™

I suppose your questions should be answered by Millard.

I did not know you were growing from early F-gen seeds.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #11
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Well I'll have to try growing it out now to see what I'll get then.
Thanks everyone.
Old March 31, 2016   #12
winterfly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
Well, I got the seeds a few years ago from a long-standing member here if I recall correctly, and was told at that time that CL was not exactly stable, so if there were any RLs, to cull them out. I did get some PL & RL at my first sowing, and did what I was told ever since with RLs. But curiosity got the best of me and I thought I'd see if anyone grew them.
So I'm a little confused here; in that posting 2011, Tam mentions getting both RL & PL. Does this mean she also got cross-pollinated seeds? What if she got them from the same person I did? Did M. Murdock release First Mate after CL, meaning that possibly the seeds of very early CL are out there (like mine & Tam's), that were still producing RL & PL?
I just saw this post and decided to try to clear things up a bit. Captain Lucky and First Mate both came from a natural cross in my garden of Lucky Cross. The first generation was a pink beefsteak which I named Hannie Caulder. The second generation produced the same pink beefsteak, a RL Black (Black Mamba) and a PL Black (Black Magic). The third generation from Hannie Caulder produced First Mate, and from Black Magic, Captain Lucky. I don't think this was a cross of Black Magic because Captain Lucky remained stable in future growouts.

The belief that Captain Lucky might not be stable came about, when a year later, Captain Lucky did cross in my garden, producing fruits of White, Black, and Tricolor. I did send out some seed of this Tricolor as Captain Lucky, but quickly realized that this wasn't the best thing I could have done, so I replaced most of what I sent out with seeds received from Lurley in Ohio, a growout of seeds she received from the original Captain Lucky. I also sent some seeds of the White tomato to a couple of growers, and that one became Captain Lucky White.

I hope this answers some questions.

Millard Murdock
winterfly is offline   Reply With Quote