Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old August 1, 2014   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default mulching next to a wood fence?

I'm looking for experienced mulchers who have done the whole yard!

We have 3 mulch mountains from tree trimmers and are in the process of mulching the whole yard, front and back! Before I got here, weeds were everywhere. We've cut back the weeds and raked up weed seeds ( I know, not necessary, but I wanted to do everything I could to keep the weeds back).

Now I'm wondering what the best approach is to mulching next to a wood fence. We have a new fence (2 weeks old) and an older fence (3 years old), where all the fence boards go all the way to ground level. I don't want to pile mulch next to the fence, but I don't want to be pulling weeds at the fence line all the time either. My plan is to put cardboard all the way to the fence line, then place bricks (we have a lot) an inch or two away from the fence, and place the mulch next to the bricks. I'd appreciate informed opinions on whether this is a good idea, as well as other ideas on preventing weeds along the fence line. This is an organic garden, so herbicides are not an option.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Too late but it would have been better if you would have put the boards about two to three inches above the ground.

No materials should be against the boards as this will promote rot by trapping moisture.
Leave an air gap with the bricks.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing.
If the fence is on the property line the neighbors can mulch right up to the boards thusly making all of your efforts in vain.
You might want to have a pow wow with them if this is so.

Worth

Be aware that if you are mulching the whole yard and you have any trees you may kill them if you muclh too thick.

I have seen intire yards with trees die out doing this.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 1, 2014 at 02:33 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #3
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

yes, we know about mulching under trees: no mulch at least a foot away from the trunk, and no more than 3-4 inches thick under the dripline.

We're still not sure what to do about the southern magnolias in front, between the street and sidewalk. It's a big area, with lots of surface roots, and I know these trees don't like anything growing under them. But right now it's weeds at the edge of the sidewalk.

Is 1-2 inches enough of an air gap between bricks and fence?

The neighbors are not likely to mulch, but they did stack firewood against the old fence (though they did pay for half of the new fence).
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2014   #4
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Mulch against the fence provides a place for fungus to grow and termites to travel. It can cause you to flunk the termite inspection (wood to earth contact) if selling a home.

Bricks with 2 inch gap between the fence are fine (IMHO).

Another way is to find a neighbor or contractor tearing down an old fence or deck (your fence contractor?). Put the used 4" to 6" wide boards along the fenceposts (with a small spacer if possible) to hold the mulch. Make sure the space between the boards and fence is open and drains after rain.

I sometimes use 3 inch deck screws and secure the boards to the wood fenceposts leaving a 1/2 inch gap.

A strip of weedblock cloth in the space may help suppress weeds next to the fence.

Depending on conditions, plan to replace the scrap boards in 5-10 years.

Offer to build your neighbor a cheap firewood rack with scrap lumber to keep contact from the fence.

Hope this helps,

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote