Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 25, 2013   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default OT - Looking for discussion of Allergy Testing

Could someone please point me to the recent thread where allergy testing was discussed. I remember someone being told they were allergic to all 50 samples! A poster pointed out it was possibly the testing medium or a skin sensitivity. Another poster (Carolyn I am guessing) explained immunity responses to allergins.

My daughter is about to see an allergist to identify foods that may be harmful to her. A major doctor's group in our city uses the skin test for diagnosis.

Thank - you. - Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013   #2
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Lisa,
It's here http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=30521
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2013   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Dutch, that was less than a minute! Thank you!
Old December 27, 2013   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

An update :
Highly "allergic" dd (young adult) had the set of 46 skin tests yesterday, of which 12 were standouts. Her seasonal allergies were obvious from the large welts. Dogs and cats too, no revelation there. She did NOT test positive for tree nuts, even though she has had two severe reactions in two years. Tuna makes here mouth swell and itch about half the time she eats it, and it tested negative. Dust and mold were also negative on the skin test, and the doctor did a special subdermal skin test to confirm that result because of her medical history. Negative!

Wish she had the blood test but she is satisfied with the accuracy of her results. Oh well. Thanks for everyone's input.
- Lisa
Old December 27, 2013   #5
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Wow, very interesting! When I was about 10-12 yrs. old I had gotten hives all over my body. HUGE welts for about a year. My parents took me to the allergist and they did the skin testing of about 50 different things I could be allergic to and Nothing! They pricked my back, it was very uncomfortable. They said I would most likely outgrow it. Which I did. Now my 15 yr. old son has the same thing. I give him Benydril(sp?) and it has helped alot
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2013   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago I started getting large welts / hives when I ate fresh grapes. I love them and eat a lot when I can get them for a decent price. But I stopped at that time because the hives were so uncomfortable.

About a year later I tried again and nothing. So I again eat grapes. But now and then I will get a few hives.

My point is that it's possible that I'm not really sensitive to the grapes but to whatever the farmer may have used / sprayed on them.

Lisa, your DD's reaction may be similar. While she reacted after eating certain things, it may not be those things but something else used on or with them. As far as the tuna it could be a processing technique or ???? If 1 brand reacts and another doesn't, they may have something different about them. Or possibly canned in oil vs water ? Personally I try to stay away from canola and soy oils as I just don't think they are good for us.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2013   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
A few years ago I started getting large welts / hives when I ate fresh grapes. I love them and eat a lot when I can get them for a decent price. But I stopped at that time because the hives were so uncomfortable.

About a year later I tried again and nothing. So I again eat grapes. But now and then I will get a few hives.

My point is that it's possible that I'm not really sensitive to the grapes but to whatever the farmer may have used / sprayed on them.

Carol
Ditto.

Trying to get organic whenever possible is the best.

I used to be a multi-allergic child, dust was the worst (most people will gasp for air in very dusty places...), and some food allergens - but as a middle-aged woman, I have outgrown them all, and have no meds whatsoever. Asthma, atopic dermatitis, had them all as a kid... We have auto-immune diseases in the family, so it wasn't surprising...
The key is to strengthen to body and try to stay well, - no junk food, no diet and other artificial stuff, real foods - of course in cases of deadly allergies, one must avoid the triggers at all costs.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2013   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I too outgrew my allergies , but not until I was close to 30 years old. While pregnant I was afraid that exposure to dust or a strong chemical spell would trigger asthma. I learned allergies will get worse or go away during pregnancy. For the most part, I vastly improved lifelong with the pregnancy. Only a know trigger like cats will turn the asthma switch on. No more hayfever! Lucky for a gardener !

Ladies , you are so right about the fruit/ farmer connection! My dh suddenly had a sudden severe reaction to strawberries. Organically purchased , nothing. I wonder if a fruit wash would remove the culprit or if it is systemic.

One of the few food allergies she tested + for is salmon, which she loves and eats often. This is one food I can remember swelling up from as a 5 year old, scaring the begeebees out of my mother. The doc said cooking it will change its chemistry to a less allergic form. Just cook it all the way through., no pink. Who new ?

-Lisa
Old December 28, 2013   #9
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I am learning about the serve food allergies, I had very mild growing up. My son had nothing but his daughter, I don't know how my DIL finds anything for the child to eat. Everything is organic, no eggs, peanuts, no soy of course (which is very hard as the food processors use that like there is no tomorrow in processing foods), no processed foods at all, DIL makes all her food. My son requested to be stationed in Colorado Springs, as there was a Whole foods store just by the base. Their grocery bill just for my granddaughter to eat is close to 600 dollars a month. He doesn't have too much longer to go before his 20 years will be up so they built a home there. Renting was not good for the granddaughter as smoke from other units would come through to their unit and bother her as well as DIL and son.

Best of luck to those that are living with such limits.

I just don't understand why the FDA doesn't wake up and start protecting the consumer.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote