Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 3, 2014   #1
mick5500
Tomatovillian™

Default Help with tomato plants wilting

I bought all these from home depot , some Bonnie and some local organic. I used Miracle grow potting mix and some Kellogg's amend. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I can dig down in the corner and see down about 10 inches and see if it is dry and need water. I am confused on adding plant food because these say they are self feeding for 90 days and these are all 60 days old. Our temperatures in the high Desert are in the high 80 degrees the last couple weeks.
I sprayed them last week with Natria and have them on blocks with the ground sprayed with insect killer so nothing crawling from below
I have 20 plants in containers and can move them to shade and sun as needed.
Any advice from pictures would be helpful.
Also advice on a good soil tester. I see them for $25.00 on Amazon but local Hydroponics store say a decent PH tester is $75.00

Thank You
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plant 3.jpg (283.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg plant 4.jpg (86.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg plant 5.jpg (67.6 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg plant 6.jpg (72.0 KB, 243 views)
mick5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Have you been keeping the soil moist? Containers can dry out pretty fast in the heat of the sun with the dry air of the desert. If there has been no sign of insect pest or fungal pressures I would lay off spraying with Natria If it's just heat stress and/or osmotic stress some shade would do some good. Watering with some liquid kelp or fish hydrolysate/kelp can help relieve some of the stress on the plants.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

H20, lots of it, every day for producing plants in pots in the hot sun and some fertilizer wouldn't hurt. "self feeding" for 90 days is pretty optimistic for heavy feeders like tomatoes especially since some is lost washing it through the drainage holes. For any type of granular slow release fertilizer it's function is dependent on the presence of moisture to dissolve it and make the nutrients available for the plants. A soil test kit is really designed for actual soil and there should be little or no actual soil in your potting mix so I would save your money and just water and fertilize you plants with a good soluble all purpose balanced fertilizer. I think they look OK, just a little stressed and parched.
Agree a little shade in the hottest part of the day might help. The hydroponics store pH meter is a waste of money too because you can buy an awful lot of really great already grown tomatoes for 75$. Maybe it would be worth it for a basement full of weed but not for a couple of pots of tomatoes
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; June 3, 2014 at 07:18 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

You don't need a $75.00 pH meter to test commercial potting mix, in my opinion.

Did you add some dolomite lime into your mix when filling you containers?

Too late now, but for next year, add in some additional perlite as well to aid drainage and aeration.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I also agree about the water. If you are inclined, google Larry Hall's rain gutter grow system. Try putting the pots in a kiddie pool/mortar bin or some shallow container that maintains only max 2-inches of water if possible so the plants can take up as much as they want/need.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

In extreme heat even with water available the plant can lose more water through transpiration than they can absorb through the roots.
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

On a hot windy day, sometimes I need to water plants in containers twice a day. Just to get a feel for how much they might be using, water early in the morning till the first drop just begins to run out the bottom of the container. Then in the evening, measure how much you need to add to again just start to drip from the bottom. My 18 gal container with a large and sprawling potato-leaf will easily take 4 or 5 gallons on a hot windy day. And it's relatively humid here!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2014   #8
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

Is there a particular reason why your tomato cages are upside down? You can get hurt.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2014   #9
emma818436
Tomatovillian™

how hot is it? is the soil dry? try misting the plants and watering.
emma818436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #10
viewsaskew
Tomatovillian™

If this is happening in the hotter part of the afternoon, I'd also go with transpiration. If you can, moving them to shade in the afternoon is a good idea.
viewsaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2014   #11
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Arid desert climate is most likely the culprit. I'd move them where they can get a little shade during the hottest part of the day. I'm in central Florida and the late afternoon heat (unless we get rain) can be brutal. My containers are in a garden plot covered with weed shield, but there's a tree on the west side that provides late afternoon shade - not a dense shade but filters out most of that intense Florida sunshine.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wilting tomato plants