Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2014   #1
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Default self terminating indeterminates?

I goofed on the last one, If a moderator can please delete it? I would be extremely grateful, I think the goof is making me look like an idiot, and confusing the heck outta the other T-villers

For reference everything I'm speaking of is based on my observations on the variety "Lavender Lake" which is a mid season indeterminate purple/black

So I was handling my tomatoes and I've noticed that several haven't grown in several weeks, they all kind of looked the same, more like roughage rather than tomato plants. So I went and pulled one up to get a closer look. On closer inspection it seems as if every growing point just stop producing meristem tissue(i.e. it has no new points from which it will continue to grow, except for a single side node).

I took pictures of the one I pulled this morning and I'll take pictures of another one that's displaying the exact same growth characteristics. these plants have looked consistently thirsty and have wispy almost oxheart like foliage. I also noticed that the roots on this one look really under developed for what they probably should be at this point. everything else is more or less looking good, I'll probably need to get some sort of hand loupe to see if I have nematodes but I really don't think I do.

Has anyone heard or seen this (self termination)? this is the second odd ball this year, right next to the PL Don's double delight that is in the same box and is still looking really nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140515_090938.jpg (326.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 20140515_090945.jpg (561.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg 20140515_091018.jpg (460.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20140515_091143.jpg (486.4 KB, 100 views)
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
I goofed on the last one, If a moderator can please delete it? I would be extremely grateful, I think the goof is making me look like an idiot, and confusing the heck outta the other T-villers

For reference everything I'm speaking of is based on my observations on the variety "Lavender Lake" which is a mid season indeterminate purple/black

So I was handling my tomatoes and I've noticed that several haven't grown in several weeks, they all kind of looked the same, more like roughage rather than tomato plants. So I went and pulled one up to get a closer look. On closer inspection it seems as if every growing point just stop producing meristem tissue(i.e. it has no new points from which it will continue to grow, except for a single side node).

I took pictures of the one I pulled this morning and I'll take pictures of another one that's displaying the exact same growth characteristics. these plants have looked consistently thirsty and have wispy almost oxheart like foliage. I also noticed that the roots on this one look really under developed for what they probably should be at this point. everything else is more or less looking good, I'll probably need to get some sort of hand loupe to see if I have nematodes but I really don't think I do.

Has anyone heard or seen this (self termination)? this is the second odd ball this year, right next to the PL Don's double delight that is in the same box and is still looking really nice.
Sorry, but I'm not clear here. Are you saying you want me to delete your other thread about self terminating determinates? If so I can do that a bit later today.

By definition an indeterminate is not self terminating, the branches keep producing blossoms and fruit until taken down by frost.

What I see with your pictures I don't consider self terminating for that refers to fully formed branches, with internode distances consistent with it being an indet, and then a blossom cluster, another internode distance, etc.

Hope I'm making sense here.

Or have I missed something from your pictures which to me just show not full development , or abortion, of side branches at this time in the growth of the plant.

Or are you suggsting that the variety Lavender Lake is different from all other indet you've grown. I think it was Terry at Seed Cartel who asked me about that variety maybe last year. Does she now list it?

Carolyn
Old May 16, 2014   #3
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn.

Sorry for being confusing, my heads been a little jumbled as of late so let's see if I can clear it up.

1. I do indeed require the thread "Self terminating determinate" deleted.

2. I know that I'm misusing the term "terminating", but for lack of better tomato vocabulary what I meant was that the plant looks like it is aborting(thank you) after several leaf sets with the internodes being spaced relatively evenly the plant pictured in the thread starter had aborted after finally producing several oddly placed leaf nodes almost as if it had tried to fork and then forgot what to do next. On checking the TGRC I found the abi(aborted inflorescence)gene but I don't think that would cause future growth to also become aborted

3. Terry as far as I know, has not listed lavender Lake this year. These seeds came From Steve over at Double Helix, which Terry had also referenced in her thread.

I found the Thread Where Terry was asking about the variety in question
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=lavender+lake

4. Here are pictures from another Lavender Lake plant (same seed batch), (this one in need of a larger pot) that is exhibiting the same growth habits. There is a slight difference in that this second plant is now developing side branches, I'll keep this one around to see if it eventually grow out correctly or if it eventually aborts the new branches as well.

20140516_113423.jpg20140516_113501.jpg20140516_113531.jpg
Old May 16, 2014   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

That is a incomplete efflorescence, not what would become a growing tip.

You may have a mule plant there. I've had them before, and pulled them out rather than let them take up space and nutrients.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2014   #5
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Default Lavender lake!

Sooo I posted about this a while back and I wanted to post an update.

For some reason the tendency to terminate at/around the first truss was an early/young plant behavior. some time after that post, probably about a week or so, the plant started developing full branches and flowering. I think the first tomato ripened at about a week ago and I didn't catch it in time under the bushy growth habit, I picked the one in the photo on Saturday.

Mild, medium complexity, medium acid, good flavor slightly smoky, musky.
Few seeds, small locules and very meaty, the core was some what solid though other than that, it made an excellent salsa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140719_215332.jpg (297.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20140719_214953_HDR.jpg (311.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20140719_215436_HDR.jpg (311.4 KB, 50 views)