Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 10, 2015   #1
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Default Echinacea (Coneflower) direct sowing seeds

I am looking to add some coneflowers to my garden this year. I live in Central Pennsylvania which is zone 6. I would like to start from seed and am wondering when would be the best time to direct sow the seeds in my area. Does anyone have any experience in this endeavor?
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #2
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Not actually direct sowing, but I winter sowed them in 2 liter bottles in Jan. outside, now would be fine too. In the bottles they are protected from animals and washing away. You can do a search for this method, it is my first year trying but heard it works great.
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

If you want blooms in the first year I'd sow them indoors early. That is what I do, usually 2 months before my frost free date.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #4
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
If you want blooms in the first year I'd sow them indoors early. That is what I do, usually 2 months before my frost free date.
This isn't really an option for me as I have no setup and nowhere to put one that the cats wouldn't have a field day with I am starting a gardening program at work for the youth that I work with this year. We have a small pvc hoop greenhouse that is unheated that I considered trying them out in. I think I can safely start them there in early April and plant out in May. My last frost date is listed as mid-April. I would be happy getting flowers the first year, even if late in Summer, if I could save the steep price over buying the plants themselves. I take it they take considerably longer to get established than annual flowers. I shall have to consider further
Old February 11, 2015   #5
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Old School, if you need to direct sow your seeds of coneflower I would chill your seeds first by putting them in the fridge or freezer and then leave them there until it is time to plant after all danger of frost has passed. In your zone six area that could be any time between late April to mid May? When ready to sow cover seeds with 1/4 inch of soil. Keep your soil evenly moist. When they come up thin or space seedlings 18 to 24 inches apart. I also start mine indoors 2 months in advance. I also have a pot of seeds I am winter sowing. Good luck.. I love coneflowers.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #6
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

Ditto with Ginny on the chilling. Many echinacea need stratification if you have any hope of getting them to germinate. As to which ones, I can't help with that....since there are so many.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #7
Old School
Tomatovillian™

Since they need chilled, can I just plant them out in the ground in early April and let nature take her course?

I ordered some plants for a new hummingbird/butterfly garden I am putting in this year. I have a larger area that i want to reclaim from the weeds at the back end of my yard thus, the larger number of plants needed. As WhippoorwillG noted, there are a lot of beautiful choices as far as colors go My thinking is that seeds are the way to go in this area...even if I need to wait a little longer
Old February 12, 2015   #8
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I have an indoor set up but too many other plants need the space, so I too am direct sowing, OK, if they don't flower the first year. I kept mine all winter in the fridge so i guess they should germinate!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote