Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 13, 2016   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Wicking vs Wicking?

The 5-1-1 mix thread got me thinking again about using a "wet mix" and a fairly large wicking area to supply a container with moisture versus using a drier mix and an actual felt (etc.) wick to do the watering. When I used Rubbermaid garden planters, all they had was a felt wick and it worked well, even when using potting SOIL in the planters. (These planters were about 18" square and maybe 10" tall with a detachable water-holding base. They were made for planting and definitely not re-purposed totes.)

Has anyone experimented with this, or have any insight?

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Better than wicked!

You want to avoid "wet feet" for your plants. Often tomatoes grow roots down into a reservoir and then have both a drier soil above and plenty of water, and that seems to be an ideal situation.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #3
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That's my thinking, also. But I have also read that some recommend putting down "weed block" over the reservoir to prevent roots from entering. That seems wrong. My experience is that although I like Miracle-Gro potting mix (usually), it does make a very wet mix in an EarthBox, so I always add quite a bit of perlite. This year, I'm also going with the bark fines, and trying for a drier mix, and probably add a felt wick "just in case."
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote