Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 3, 2016   #1
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Default C. baccatum Peppers

This year I'll be growing some mild-to-medium C. baccatum pepper varieties, namely CAP 1220, Aji Santa Cruz, and Aji Norteno. The seeds were kindly sent to me last fall by a member of another gardening forum, and I'm real anxious to try them.

I've never grown any C. baccatum varieties before. In reading, I see that these plants may reach 5 feet tall, and I don't know how wide. I've found that the much smaller various C. annuum pepper plants I usually grow like to be crowded and sort of lean on each other, so I usually plant them 18" apart in rows watered by soaker hoses. Obviously, C. baccatum will need to be spaced further apart.

Can anyone here tell me about growing C. baccatum peppers - row spacing, spacing within rows, support, special needs, etc.? Thanks!
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #2
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

The only baccatum I ever grew was Aji Amarillo last year in a pot. This one did not get that big. The varieties you are growing sound interesting. I am growing Aji Rainforest for the first time
this year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #3
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Baccatums are picky about the soil they grow in. Use lots of compost if you want them to thrive. They also tend to be long season with up to 7 months between seed and mature fruit.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2016   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I second these points. We plant our baccatums 2 ft apart, with 4-5 feet between rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Baccatums are picky about the soil they grow in. Use lots of compost if you want them to thrive. They also tend to be long season with up to 7 months between seed and mature fruit.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote