Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 26, 2007   #1
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Default Two Lighting Questions

First of all I'm just curious as to what type(s) of lighting folks here use for getting their seedlings up and running. Secondly, does anyone use or know of anyone that uses these somewhat recently introduced, high output T-5 fluorescent lighting systems?? Think the company, Sunleaves makes several models as do a few others. They definently aren't cheap but appear to be extremely efficient, long lasting, well made and equivalent with shoplights in terms of minimal energy consumption.

If you're thinking what I'm thinking, in terms of the old addage "if it ain't broke.....", I hear ya'. I started off using shoplights, get good results with them and will use them forever for certain veggies started indoors.

Last year I went the way of purchasing some HID lighting. Use a 1000W Metal Halide for the vast majority of my tomato, eggplant and pepper seedlings and it has surpassed my expectations. I grow my seedlings in a basement and just don't want to add another HID system due to potential heating issues that I really don't feel like addressing and increased energy costs, etc. But at the same time when one has a dozen shoplights and the cords going all helter skelter to different power strips, outlets, tables and the like, it can be a minor inconvenience. These T-5 lights house up to 8 bulbs in one unit and are as movable as any shoplight.

Just like anything else....weighing the pros and cons. Kind of have my mind made up already and will probably purchase one. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks and Cheers.

Erik C.
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Most 48" shoplights give not much light and you can only put it a couple of inches above the seedlings. This limits how tall, and therefore how early, you can start your seedlings.

I am trying to start seedlings early and grow them tall; therefore I need brighter lights. I use several kinds of lights and I construct most of my light fixtures to focus them better.

1. 2 x 65 Watt Power Compact fluorescent, electronic ballasts.
2. Over-driving T-8 48" fluorescent with electronic ballasts.
3. 400w metal halide.

With higher brightness setups, I can hang the fixtures 24" to 30" above the seedling to let them grow tall enough to have blossoms.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
Most 48" shoplights give not much light and you can only put it a couple of inches above the seedlings. This limits how tall, and therefore how early, you can start your seedlings.
any reason why the standard 48" shop light can not be used sideways? if you put 2 or 3 sets of lights around a plant that'd allow the plant to be 48" tall and still have lights on it from top to bottom.
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2007   #4
gardenscout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
any reason why the standard 48" shop light can not be used sideways?
What a great idea. Maybe next year...
gardenscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #5
Noreaster
Tomatovillian™

No need to go beyond standard, cheap 48" fluorescents.

Been using for years.....only recommmendation is keep them as close as possible to seedlings, i.e., check each day . Seedling leaves never burn unless actually touching the lights for days on end !
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

48" shop lights are perfect for starting tomato plants. They should be on chains that you can raise and lower, and the bulbs should be kept 2-3" at most over the plants.

T-5 is nice, but expensive in the sizes I want. If you want to actually grow tomatoes thru fruitset indoors, then you need High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lights which are exorbitant.

What frustrates me is there are no reasonable 24" lights. They are usually more expensive, and have less light output per square inch than the 48". So it's impossible for someone to just get a 24" for starting ONE tray of seeds.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You really don’t need lights on the side reflectors are fine and that is if you are going to let them grow very big.
The plant only needs the light on the top to stop it from having elongated growth.
Some companies will tell you anything to sell their product.
It might not be an all out lie it is just that you don’t need it.
You don’t have to spend a lot of money for a good seed starting setup.
No fancy grow lights, no fancy frames.
Some folks will spend $100’s of dollars to do the same thing I can do for about 50.
That would be two, two 48 inch two bulb units which will get around 288 plants started and growing till I need to put them outside.

Here is a picture of my cheap set up that works.

Attachment 323

Attachment 324

Last edited by Worth1; November 17, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

And I always like to bring this up. Don't forget you can grow lettuce in the "off season".

It's probably not the most economical way to grow lettuce, but I just think it's cool to have lettuce that never needs chemicals and never needs to be washed.

If I try lettuce outdoors this fall, I will probably grow under row cover.

First harvest

A later harvest

I grew romaine and treated it as a cut-and-come-again lettuce, removing the outer leaves. Eventually the plants got too leggy and I had to pull em.

Bucking the trend in container growing, I grew them in 50% peat moss, 10% vermiculite, and 40% composted cow manure, plus a little bit of Osmocote.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2007   #9
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Lovely set-up Worth- I have a shelf that my dad drilled holes under one of the shelves for shop lights, each side is on its adjustable chain.
I really like your pulley sustem!

You could spend more money, but WHY?
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2007   #10
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

I just finished work on a light box for future seed starting. It's framed with 2" x 3/4" cedar. The bottom and back are inset with 1/8" white melamine laminate. The light fixtures are two 4' twin bulb $9 shop lights from HD, each sporting one warm white and one cool white bulb. The overall dimensions are 50" long x 22" high x 14" deep. The chains for the two light fixtures are hung from cup hooks attached to the top of the frame. I wish I had had this setup back in January. Oh yes, the cedar comes from my work with a friend that has a hobby saw mill, and the melamine is left over from another project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4150006 (Small).JPG (36.5 KB, 48 views)
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote