Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old September 1, 2007   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Outrageous prices

Grrrrrr!! I went to our local (only) flower shop today and was allowed to go into the cooler to pick my own flowers. I had done it before and didn't necessarily want an "arrangement," I have a lot of single bloom vases that I put on my kitchen window sill plus a few pretty vases I like to keep filled with whatever I can find. Last time the owner was there and I bought a lot of beautiful flowers for about $15. Today I picked several lilies, a few roses and several stems of various other things that I didn't know the name of. The clerk gleefully informed me after I was at the checkout that I had picked all the most expensive blooms. The lilies were $8 a piece!!! Now I know I wasn't expecting to pick up the flowers for nothing but I thought that was pretty steep! I wasn't really crabby about it but she knew I didn't care for that price at all, since she didn't say anything about it as I happily picked up 4 lilies (2 yellow and 2 of a dark jewel purple).
So anyway, I plan a cutting garden next year. I wanted to know what everyone else plants and what kind of lilies would make the best cutting? I have daylilies but I assume these I bought are oriental or similar. Any suggestions?
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007   #2
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Most of the ones in the flower shops (and, yes, they are expensive, aren't they!) are Oriental or Asiatic lilies. Unlike daylilies that grow from tubers, these grow from bulbs.

They really are quite easy to grow (unless, like me, you have massive amounts of rodents both with and without antlers).

Here's a good link to get some more basic info:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...re/DG1112.html
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007   #3
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Lori,
I suggest looking at Scheeper's Bulbs for decent prices on lilies, and the quality is good also.
http://www.johnscheepers.com/
If you want larger quantities at even cheaper prices, their wholesale division is
http://www.vanengelen.com/

I love lilies too(besides my roses) I think the asiatics and hybrid like LA lilies are the easier types. Orientals want a bit more pampering. Oh I love the old orienpet 'Black Beauty' I have a couple shots in my 'Daylily and Lily' photobucket album.
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0and%20Lilies/
Hope that helps a bit,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2007   #4
BDale
Tomatovillian™

If you are interested in venturing beyond lilies, China asters are a nice choice for cut flowers. Easy to grow annuals, long stems, look great in a vase, bloom (here in Zone 5a) from mid summer until fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aster Photo.jpg (209.5 KB, 20 views)
BDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #5
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Wow, the flowers are gorgeous, both the lilies and the asters. Remy, you are a busy girl! I will look at the sites that were sent, I'm really wanting some of these lilies. The purple ones I bought are pretty stunning, I had compliments over the holiday when we had our BBQ. My SIL thought they were fake, LOL. They are nearly plate sized and just WOW. So I guess I don't mind paying extra for them and they have held 3 days with no problem at all. Course, it would be nicer to have my own next year Lori
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2007   #6
remy

BDale,
Your asters look great! I grew seeds saved from the aster 'Hulk' that I received in trade. This is the first aster I've grown. It was an odd variety I saw in a catalog. They grew true to name and very well in a pot. I will definitely try some others next year.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2.../atserhulk.jpg

Lori,
My husband might tell you I'm not well. I love growing too many things. That is why my house is perpetually a mess!
That is good to hear about how great the cut ones look. I don't mind paying if I get quality like that. Of course it would be even nicer to brag to your sis-in-law that they came from your garden.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old September 5, 2007   #7
BDale
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy,

I've seen "Hulk" in the seed catalog and thought it might be an interesting addition to a floral arrangement given the color and shape of it. Nice photo. Maybe I'll give it a try. Always so many choices with limited space. We've been very, very happy with the addition of Dahlias to our garden this year as well.
BDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2007   #8
remy

BDale,
I just went to a Gardenweb local spring exchange swapper's house to take a tour of her gardens. She had beautiful dahlias. Every year she brings the tubers to the exchange and I've never taken any. I told her I've changed my mind for next year!
Remy