Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2015   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default What do you think of Jasper and Mountain Magic

What are some opinions from those of you have grown them? I was pleased with Mountain Magic, except I expected a little larger fruit. What I got was a the low end of the size of "Campari" which is frequently the advertising comparison. But MM is certainly a "keeper" IMO.

Jasper produced well for me, but had really small tomatoes 3/8" to maybe 1/2". Maybe if I had pruned the vines more, they might have been a little larger. But not to be grown again by me.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; September 14, 2015 at 03:26 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #2
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Mt. Magic is a relatively small plant that's easy to handle, as advertised in terms of disease resistance and really productive. It's been pumping out loaded trusses for the past 4+ months. Most are Governator-sized cherries, with a flavor at the middle of the spectrum for most variables (acidity, texture, etc).

No experience with Jasper.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have no experience with Jasper, but lots of experience with the three hybrids that Dr, Randy Gardner bred which are Mountain Magic, Plum Regal and Smarty.

Bejo seeds was supposed to do the commercial seed production for all three but weather prevented them from doing so and there was a delay. In the meantime Randy, whom I've known for many years, sent me LOTS of seed for all three of those hybrids and I made a seed off here for all three and there was lots of feedback for them.

My fave was and is MT Magic, and yes, a larger cherry type but excellent taste and production.

I can't speak to any disease tolerances for any of them since the major tomato diseases where I garden are the foliage diseases, not the soilborne ones.

Summary? It's easy for me to say go with MT Magic since while I was sent the seeds for Jasper I never grew it.

Carolyn