Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4, 2012   #1
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Default Filipino #2

Rather than make a new post for every new variety as it matures, I figured I would just start one thread for anyone interested. I tried to do something similar after the fact but I could not change the title once I had already posted it so there are a few other varieties at the following thread: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24402

My first entry for this thread is Filipino #2, a variety commercially introduced at Double Helix. I was expecting more of a landrace and I don't associate black tomatoes with landraces so I was pleasantly surprised when the fruit indeed came out a mahogany/purple. There is some speculation that this variety is an ancestor of the more commonly known "black" tomatoes such as Cherokee Purple, Black From Tula, Carbon, etc. Personally I find this theory unlikely but the fruit does have a very similar taste. I just finished eating my first Cherokee Purple of the season when I tried this one so comparison was easy. Filipino #2 was slightly more tangy but besides that, they are very similar. Filipino #2 comes on a big, robust plant that has good resistance to wet feet and early blight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filipino #2.jpg (301.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Filipino #2 Cut.jpg (248.6 KB, 137 views)

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Solanum315; August 10, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote