Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2010   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Philippines Tomato?

Saw in a post on seed savers forum that there is a Tomato in the Philippines that is great for hot humid weather and is also a black variety. They called it a Nagaraclang but a Google search only finds that same reference from SSE forums about it. Since I know we have some members from that area was hoping they might know the actual name of the tomato as it sounds like it would do well here in the south.

This is how the described it:
It's a "black" tomato that comes from the Phillipines and supposedly was selected to deal with the climate there (where any tomato has to deal with the monsoon season) it's main adapataion is that the flowers apperently are good at shedding water.

Thanks for any help
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2010   #2
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

First of all, I'm not an expert in tomatoes.

Never heard of any native black tomatoes here. But the local tomato here are quite adapted to our climate.

here is our "native" tomato, they just call it kamatis-tagalog or simply "native". it is medium size. not sure if it is determinate or indeterminate. Farmers here treat tomatoes as a 6-month crop only:

(i sliced it vertically instead of horizontally, my mistake)

I'll ask my farmer contacts about this if they are familiar with this tomato.

thanks for this info.

Last edited by pinakbet; August 25, 2010 at 11:31 PM.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2010   #3
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

here is the link that i found:http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...159202450.html

I have seeds from Institute of University of the Philippines Los Banos - Plant Breading(UPLB-IPB) that they labeled as "Rica". It is said that you can plant it any month of the year.
Old August 25, 2010   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like the one thanks for the great info.
Old August 26, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It's been listed in the SSE YEarbook for a very long time and one person still lists it in the 2010 SSE YEarbook, as Nagcalan, but I know that the proper name is Nagcarlang,since it has been used in some breeding work.

The interest has been heat and humidity tolerance, not taste, which I've seen no one say much about. And it's also described as a deep pink, not black. So who knows for sure.
Old August 26, 2010   #6
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Nagcarlan/Nagcarlang is the name of a town in Laguna, Southern Luzon.
Old August 26, 2010   #7
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

interesting, a local black tomato variety. wouldn't mind getting my hands on those. wonder where i can get some.... hard to find landrace varieties here these days. mostly hybrids.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #8
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

According to gardenweb :

Quote:
Nagcarlang looks different all the time because it's heterozygous, or not stable. The good feature about it though is that it can set fruit even in heavy rain. It's a deep pink to 'black' that is a bit on the seedy side.

source:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...045426115.html
Old August 26, 2010   #9
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Yes, that was my pic. I've grown Nagcarlang 2-3x from different sources and always had different results but I believe the one I pictured is the closest to the original description from the 1950's I think.

P.S.

Here's my official description I used on ebay in 2007:

NEW!NAGCARLANG--70-75 DAYS--A very unusual wild tomato from the Phillipines, for many reasons. It's listed as heterozygous--not a stable open pollinated variety. It also can vary in color--one year I got orangy brown fruits, last time I got flatter dark pink to purple fruits. It is believed to be stress tolerant, heat tolerant, and rain tolerant--that is, not for cracks, but blossoms still pollinate even in humidity & heavy rains--something most tomatoes have problems with. It's officially listed as a wild "brownish purple" tomato. Fruits were ribbed or lobed, generally flatter like mini beefsteaks about 3 inches or so this time, and somewhat seedy.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #10
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried any crosses with it yet. That was my main interest to see what might happen
Old August 26, 2010   #11
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Yes, that was my pic. I've grown Nagcarlang 2-3x from different sources and always had different results but I believe the one I pictured is the closest to the original description from the 1950's I think.

P.S.

Here's my official description I used on ebay in 2007:

NEW!NAGCARLANG--70-75 DAYS--A very unusual wild tomato from the Phillipines, for many reasons. It's listed as heterozygous--not a stable open pollinated variety. It also can vary in color--one year I got orangy brown fruits, last time I got flatter dark pink to purple fruits. It is believed to be stress tolerant, heat tolerant, and rain tolerant--that is, not for cracks, but blossoms still pollinate even in humidity & heavy rains--something most tomatoes have problems with. It's officially listed as a wild "brownish purple" tomato. Fruits were ribbed or lobed, generally flatter like mini beefsteaks about 3 inches or so this time, and somewhat seedy.

cool. do you have spare seeds of these?
Old August 26, 2010   #12
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post
Have you tried any crosses with it yet. That was my main interest to see what might happen
No, nothing yet, and it complicates things because of being heterozygous, you yourself don't know if you have the correct seeds or not, plus you can get different results next time!
Old August 26, 2010   #13
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinakbet View Post
cool. do you have spare seeds of these?
I really don't know what's left. The last time I saw them was in 2007. I would have to look for them and due to so much going on right now, it wouldn't be possible until later in the year. Drop me a message then.
Old August 26, 2010   #14
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

Sure I will, thanks.

Its a weird feeling, I asked some people here on the agriculture industry and they never heard of that tomato either. And I only learned it out from people overseas.
Old August 26, 2010   #15
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinakbet View Post
Sure I will, thanks.

Its a weird feeling, I asked some people here on the agriculture industry and they never heard of that tomato either. And I only learned it out from people overseas.
I originally heard about it in a research article on tomato breeding and the article was from the 1950's or older! The variety was sent to Canada. I lost a couple hard drive letters/partitions this year and not sure if I can find the article but will try.

Where are you located?