Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 25, 2016   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 Summer Florida Garden

These seeds (2 in the EB), 1 in the Root Pouch were planted as a test to see if the bees would pollinate in the summer and also for me to learn how to prune cucumbers.

Well the bees came and I didn't have the heart to prune.

Other than the yellow sticky traps and covering the plants since inception with tulle at night, I have not sprayed or used any bug control.

With cucumbers, the male flowers come first; and finally a few female flowers showed. Being impatient but not totally knowing what I was doing, I thought I would take matters in my own hands. I thought I could get pollen from the male flowers using the vegibee. So I ripped off a few male flowers and started buzzing them over the spoon. Suddenly a bee appeared and started buzzing around from flower to flower....probably thinking "You're kidding me right?"
So I gave the pollination duty back to the bees and they didn't disappoint.

Now, the plants are full of flowers and bees are plentiful.

The first cucumbers will be ready in a few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuke Root Pouch (219x400).jpg (65.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Cuke EarthBox (300x400).jpg (63.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg Cukes Both Plants (400x393).jpg (90.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Beta Alpha Cuke and Flowers (300x400).jpg (53.4 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Cuke in Late June (300x400).jpg (47.6 KB, 200 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

So the tomato season is over in East Coast Central Florida, but peppers are going strong.

I have 2 areas of peppers; both get shade in the hottest part of the day.

The longer red pepper is Red Marconi, the smaller one is Giant Marconi.
It was the first ripe Giant, so hopefully the other Giants are bigger.

For peppers I'm growing Yellow and Red Marconi, Giant Marconi, Shi★★★★o, Ajvarski, AJI Amarillo Grande, AJI Amarillo (small), Charleston Bell, a very hot cross of Tequila Sunrise.

I also have seedlings or germinating the following: Jimmy Nardello, Albino Bullnose, Emerald Giant, Beuna Mulata Hot Pepper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just Pepper Plants (400x300).jpg (63.0 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Other Pepper Plants with no wind (400x273).jpg (73.9 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00804 (400x300).jpg (47.3 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; June 25, 2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old June 25, 2016   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Here's something you don't see in Florida in the summer;

Romaine Lettuce - I let the lettuce go to seed and apparently a couple of seeds blew into this root pouch which was the former home to a dwarf tomato plant. In this instance, it was beneficial to procrastinate cleaning up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lettuce in Late June (400x378).jpg (101.3 KB, 201 views)
Old June 25, 2016   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Here's something you don't see in Florida in the summer;

Romaine Lettuce - I let the lettuce go to seed and apparently a couple of seeds blew into this root pouch which was the former home to a dwarf tomato plant. In this instance, it was beneficial to procrastinate cleaning up.
Now that I like! Same thing happened with my speckled buttercrunch. I better harvest as baby greens, no way mine are going to become full sized heads.
Great thread Barb. Jealous of your cukes. What variety?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2016   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Cuke is Beit Alpha - I've grown them a lot. Everyone I give them to said they are the best cukes they ever had. Very productive plant.

This spring I grew them along with Sweet Success and Snows (a pickling cucumber) but usually it's just Beit Alpha. I got the seeds originally from Seeds From Italy. GrowItalian.com

Cukes, Peppers are way easier to grow in Florida than Tomatoes. If I were half as good growing tomatoes as you, I'd be a happy camper.
Old June 25, 2016   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Cuke is Beit Alpha - I've grown them a lot. Everyone I give them to said they are the best cukes they ever had. Very productive plant.

This spring I grew them along with Sweet Success and Snows (a pickling cucumber) but usually it's just Beit Alpha. I got the seeds originally from Seeds From Italy. GrowItalian.com

Cukes, Peppers are way easier to grow in Florida than Tomatoes. If I were half as good growing tomatoes as you, I'd be a happy camper.
Hahahaha Barb. Honestly, if I were half as good at growing tomatoes as you think I am, I'd be a happy camper too.

I must get some of those cukes. Is it too late to start them now?
Old June 29, 2016   #7
Don_Saunders
Tomatovillian™

I got on and can see posts! YAY!
Don_Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #8
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures, Barb. Thanks for the info. Apparently it is possible to grow some things during the summer in Fl. Good to know.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Barb .... So glad you posted the pics of your Beit Alpha cukes and info about them. Nice looking plants. Think I will order some seeds of them to try here. How do the plants do as far as humidity goes? I've planted two crops of different cukes and am ripping out both. Mildew from the humidity is a major problem here. Having to go out and spray everyday is getting to be a pain.

Your bridal veils are cute. : ) Gonna google pickle worms and see what they are about. Always good to learn about potential pests.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #10
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Starlight - It's super hot and humid here; typically 90% humidity. Summer daytime temps rarely exceed 90 but humidity is always constant. A day in spring with 45% humidity is a rarity; anything under 70% we notice (and appreciate).

I didn't have any mildew /leaf problems with any plants this spring. I think the sun took care of mildew. Seems like when it rained, it poured but then it wouldn't rain again for another month.
Old June 27, 2016   #11
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Pics - Today's pepper harvest, first cucumbers grown/picked during high heat, Arvarski peppers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Todays pepper harvest (400x203).jpg (46.1 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg First Cukes in summer (400x378).jpg (62.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg AJVARSKI (400x300).jpg (38.0 KB, 145 views)
Old June 29, 2016   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Very nice haul! My oh my! That some huge peppers. Makes a person want some stuffed peppers for dinner. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #13
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Now that I see the Ajvarski I am so anxious for mine to be ready to harvest. I am glad you found that pepper because I overlooked it when I was doing my Baker Creek order.

Marsha, Beit Alpha has become my only cucumber. I love the fact that it has such little seeds and the skin is tender so you don't have to peel it. My fall cucumber usually do better than the summer one.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb- fantastic! Those cukes and peppers make my eyes pop out. I am a little jealous.

Last edited by ginger2778; June 29, 2016 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Auto fill, ugh!
Old June 29, 2016   #15
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind words.

If anyone wants Ajvarski seeds let me know.

I'm tracking how many cucumbers I'm picking and since Sunday evening until Weds morning, I picked 13. In the past, I knew I got lots more than we could eat or give away and what was left became worm food for my composting worms.